Observing

  • jim_fitch
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 4, 2010
      Looks like the sky will be good tonight! I'm hoping the wind will lay down a bit. I'm thinking the roadside park.

      Jim
    • ascruggs@suddenlink.net
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 4, 2010
        I've got plans for this evening. I'm hoping for clear wx next weekend.

        Alan

      • ascruggs@suddenlink.net
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 4, 2010

        • ascruggs@suddenlink.net
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 4, 2010
            Things have changed and I'll probably head out to the roadside park by 9 or so. Won't bring the trailer, as it needs some bearing work. Hope somebody is there.

            Alan

          • ascruggs@suddenlink.net
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 4, 2010

              ---- jim_fitch <jf@...> wrote:
              > Looks like the sky will be good tonight! I'm hoping the wind will lay down a bit. I'm thinking the roadside park.
              >
              > Jim

            • jim_fitch
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 30, 2010
                I'm going to try the roadside park tonight. Should be nice during the early part of the evening.

                Sunset - 6:55pm
                Moonrise - 1:55am
                Sky is mostly clear
                Wind at sunset is 3mph and increases to 10mph by midnight and at 1:00 starts gusting to 20mph.

                I hope the feathers/bones/etc. are right!

                Anybody else going?

                Jim
              • kreeeemers
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 30, 2010
                  Where is the roadside park? Is Buffalo lake still open?

                  --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "jim_fitch" <jf@...> wrote:

                  > I'm going to try the roadside park tonight. Should be nice during the early part of the evening.
                  >
                  > Sunset - 6:55pm
                  > Moonrise - 1:55am
                  > Sky is mostly clear
                  > Wind at sunset is 3mph and increases to 10mph by midnight and at 1:00 starts gusting to 20mph.
                  >
                  > I hope the feathers/bones/etc. are right!
                  >
                  > Anybody else going?
                  >
                  > Jim

                • jim_fitch
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 30, 2010
                    As far as I know Buffalo Lake is open. The ranger does not like you there unless you are camping over-night.

                    The roadside park is darker. It is on 207 south of Claude on the south rim of the Canyon. I go through Wayside to get to 207. The roadsde park is just a couple of miles north from that junction.

                    Jim

                  • amarilloastronomyclub-owner@yahoogroups.c
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 30, 2010
                      Just a note on Buffalo Lake. We have been there many times and never had a problem with not camping overnight. It is $2.00 to enter unless you have some kind of pass.

                      The downside is now the park is on winter hours and the entry gate closes at 6pm. (actually about 2 min. to 6) but you can leave anytime.

                      The roadside park has better all around viewing. At Buffalo Lake the sky is usually pretty decent to the south and southeast. It is also a much shorter drive back to Amarillo from Buffalo than from the roadside park but both are good sites.

                      Rich

                      --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "jim_fitch" <jf@...> wrote:

                      > As far as I know Buffalo Lake is open. The ranger does not like you there unless you are camping over-night.
                      >
                      > The roadside park is darker. It is on 207 south of Claude on the south rim of the Canyon. I go through Wayside to get to 207. The roadsde park is just a couple of miles north from that junction.
                      >
                      > Jim
                      >
                      > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "kreeeemers" <kareem.dana@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Where is the roadside park? Is Buffalo lake still open?
                      > >
                      > > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "jim_fitch" <jf@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I'm going to try the roadside park tonight. Should be nice during the early part of the evening.
                      > > >
                      > > > Sunset - 6:55pm
                      > > > Moonrise - 1:55am
                      > > > Sky is mostly clear
                      > > > Wind at sunset is 3mph and increases to 10mph by midnight and at 1:00 starts gusting to 20mph.
                      > > >
                      > > > I hope the feathers/bones/etc. are right!
                      > > >
                      > > > Anybody else going?
                      > > >
                      > > > Jim

                    • Pearre Chase
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 30, 2010
                        Jim:

                        I will call Kareem and see if he wants to follow me out. What time do you plan to arrive at the rest area?

                        Pearre
                      • Pearre Chase
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 30, 2010
                          Jim:

                          I will call Kareem and see if he wants to follow me out. What time do you plan to arrive at the rest area?

                          Pearre
                        • David
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 30, 2010
                            I'll be there!

                            --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "jim_fitch" <jf@...> wrote:

                            > I'm going to try the roadside park tonight. Should be nice during the early part of the evening.
                            >
                            > Sunset - 6:55pm
                            > Moonrise - 1:55am
                            > Sky is mostly clear
                            > Wind at sunset is 3mph and increases to 10mph by midnight and at 1:00 starts gusting to 20mph.
                            >
                            > I hope the feathers/bones/etc. are right!
                            >
                            > Anybody else going?
                            >
                            > Jim

                          • jim_fitch
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 30, 2010
                              I'm hoping to get there about sundown..... We'll see....

                              Jim

                              --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Pearre Chase" <pcctex@...> wrote:

                              > Jim:
                              >
                              > I will call Kareem and see if he wants to follow me out. What time do you plan to arrive at the rest area?
                              >
                              > Pearre

                            • richardmjordan
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 31, 2010
                                Sorry I missed going. Had my step daughter in from Austin and we had family plans. However, I was able to observe from my driveway Friday and Saturday night and it was reasonably good. Actually Jupiter was really good late both nights. Looking forward to a dark site night with club members. Unfortunately I will be in Washington next weekend.

                                Rick Jordan
                                --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "jim_fitch" <jf@...> wrote:

                                > I'm going to try the roadside park tonight. Should be nice during the early part of the evening.
                                >
                                > Sunset - 6:55pm
                                > Moonrise - 1:55am
                                > Sky is mostly clear
                                > Wind at sunset is 3mph and increases to 10mph by midnight and at 1:00 starts gusting to 20mph.
                                >
                                > I hope the feathers/bones/etc. are right!
                                >
                                > Anybody else going?
                                >
                                > Jim

                              • Pearre Chase
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 1, 2010
                                  Great time at the roadside park Saturday night! Warm, calm winds, fair seeing, and great people!

                                  Thanks to all who attended. Wonderful evening.
                                  Pearre Chase
                                • kreeeemers
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 2, 2010
                                    This was the first time I took my new scope to a dark site. There were some amazing sights. I had a blast!

                                    - Kareem

                                    --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Pearre Chase" <pcctex@...> wrote:

                                    > Great time at the roadside park Saturday night! Warm, calm winds, fair seeing, and great people!
                                    >
                                    > Thanks to all who attended. Wonderful evening.
                                    > Pearre Chase

                                  • as_aac
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 11, 2013
                                      Leaving for the roadside park in 30. We'll see if anyone else is there.

                                      Alan
                                    • jim_fitch
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 1, 2013
                                        If the forecast hold - winds at 10 mph and mostly clear - I'm planning on going to the roadside park. Sunset is just before 9:00 pm and moonset is at 2:50 am tomorrow morning. Maybe we'll catch some ancient photons!

                                        Anybody else want to go?

                                        Jim
                                      • Pearre Chase
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 1, 2013
                                          Sounds good. Will join you. Post a note if you decide to cancel.
                                        • Douglas L. Holeman
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 1, 2013
                                            Hmmm.

                                            Depending on how the day goes ;-), I might make the drive out. Wouldn't
                                            mind pulling out the Scope I was so generously gifted!

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 1, 2013
                                              Don't you mean moon rise? Yes, I'm planning to go also.

                                              Alan

                                              ---- jim_fitch <jf@...> wrote:
                                              > If the forecast hold - winds at 10 mph and mostly clear - I'm planning on going to the roadside park. Sunset is just before 9:00 pm and moonset is at 2:50 am tomorrow morning. Maybe we'll catch some ancient photons!
                                              >
                                              > Anybody else want to go?
                                              >
                                              > Jim

                                            • as_aac
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 1, 2013
                                                Pearre, see you guys out there tonight! Looking forward to some more photons!!

                                                ---- Pearre Chase <pcctex@...> wrote:
                                                > Sounds good. Will join you. Post a note if you decide to cancel.

                                              • Robert
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 1, 2013
                                                  If the forecast holds, I'll join you tonight.

                                                  --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "jim_fitch" <jf@...> wrote:

                                                  > If the forecast hold - winds at 10 mph and mostly clear - I'm planning on going to the roadside park. Sunset is just before 9:00 pm and moonset is at 2:50 am tomorrow morning. Maybe we'll catch some ancient photons!
                                                  >
                                                  > Anybody else want to go?
                                                  >
                                                  > Jim

                                                • jim_fitch
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 1, 2013
                                                    Yes I do mean moonrise. I should read proof before edit after sending ;).

                                                    Jim

                                                    --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, <ascruggs@...> wrote:

                                                    > Don't you mean moon rise? Yes, I'm planning to go also.
                                                    >
                                                    > Alan
                                                    >
                                                    > ---- jim_fitch <jf@...> wrote:
                                                    > > If the forecast hold - winds at 10 mph and mostly clear - I'm planning on going to the roadside park. Sunset is just before 9:00 pm and moonset is at 2:50 am tomorrow morning. Maybe we'll catch some ancient photons!
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Anybody else want to go?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Jim

                                                  • as_aac
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 1, 2013
                                                      LOL. See everyone out at the roadside park this evening. Weather looks to be holding pretty good.

                                                      Alan

                                                      ---- jim_fitch <jf@...> wrote:
                                                      > Yes I do mean moonrise. I should read proof before edit after sending ;).
                                                      >
                                                      > Jim
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, <ascruggs@...> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Don't you mean moon rise? Yes, I'm planning to go also.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Alan
                                                      > >
                                                      > > ---- jim_fitch <jf@...> wrote:
                                                      > > > If the forecast hold - winds at 10 mph and mostly clear - I'm planning on going to the roadside park. Sunset is just before 9:00 pm and moonset is at 2:50 am tomorrow morning. Maybe we'll catch some ancient photons!
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Anybody else want to go?
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Jim

                                                    • Michael M
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jun 1, 2013