Holmes looks like a BIG Messier object through 15x70s and light pollution.

  • starreckoner
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hi All-

      I just popped outside with my 15x70 binocs on a new tripod and looked
      at Holmes, from the W side of Canyon near US 60 and too many sodium
      vapor lights. But the moon is hiding now.

      It looks like a BIG globular cluster as seen through a frosty lens.
      It is definitely much bigger and much lower surface brightness than
      previously---you can find it in binos from in town but I can't find it
      by eye here (or get really dark adapted where I live.)

      There's always something about photons from space hitting the eyes,
      even if from fairly near by. Its only about one bino field from M34,
      and maybe 2 hops from the double cluster.

      -David Craig