Re: [Amarillo Astronomy Club] Update on Holmes

  • Reagan Herman
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
      Robert and all,
      My measurements pick up where this website ended on the 29th. My
      measurement on the morning of the 29th matches the website's 6.7'
      measurement. So assuming my calculations from the eyepiece's scale to
      arc minutes are correct here is the data I have collected so far:
      10/29/07 05:45 CDT = 6.7'
      10/29/07 21:00 CDT = 8.4'
      10/30/07 06:00 CDT = 9.08'
      10/30/07 20:45 CDT = 9.75'
      10/31/07 05:40 CDT = 10.43'
      10/31/07 20:30 CDT = 11.1'
      11/1/07 05:30 CDT = 11.77'

      Reagan

      --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Ashcraft"
      <rashcraf@...> wrote:

      > What did you get for the diameter of the bright portion?
      >
      > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, Reagan Herman
      > <reaganherman@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I also observed Comet Holmes Monday night with my 15".
      > > Without the benefit (?) of the Moon's glare, I could
      > > see a faint glow around the brightest portion of the
      > > comet that we have all been observing. I'd estimate
      > > that this very low surface brightness outer halo is
      > > perhaps 3 times the diameter of the brighter portion
      > > of the comet. The bright outer "shell" seems less
      > > apparent to me now and maybe a bit more diffuse on the
      > > western trailing edge. The color also seems less
      > > golden to me and maybe a little more bluish. The whole
      > > thing also seems larger to me now. So using a 12.5mm
      > > Celestron astrometric eyepiece and Caitie's 5" f/8 I
      > > took a measurement. Over the next several days I'll
      > > take more measurements and see if I'm right or just
      > > hallucinating.
      > > I looked again this morning and could not see the
      > > outer halo in the Moon's light.
      > > Reagan Herman
      > > --- Robert Ashcraft <rashcraf@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Monday, October 29, 2007
      > > >
      > > > I'm happy to report that comet 17P/Holmes is alive
      > > > and well. I
      > > > observed it tonight from 8:15 to 9:15 CDT with my
      > > > Obsession 12.5" on
      > > > the driveway behind my house on Mitcham Dr.
      > > >
      > > > The comet is still as bright as it was Saturday
      > > > night and the same
      > > > apparent size (6 arc mintes in diameter). Hence,
      > > > the coma's diameter
      > > > is about 264,000 miles. There were no background
      > > > stars masquerading as
      > > > nuclei tonight. My favorite view of this comet has
      > > > been at 100X with
      > > > my 16 mm Nagler T5, but it looks great at just about
      > > > any magnification.
      > > >
      > > > I encourage everyone to take a look at this comet
      > > > before it fizzles.
      > > >
      > > > RWA :-)

    • Robert Ashcraft
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
        Hi Reagan,

        Looks like good data. Your Tuesday night reading (9.75') agrees well
        with my estimate (9.8') that was made without the benefit of an
        astrometric eyepiece. I have one on order (a Meade 12 mm) which
        could be here by tomorrow.

        RWA :-)

        <reaganherman@...> wrote:

        > Robert and all,
        > My measurements pick up where this website ended on the 29th. My
        > measurement on the morning of the 29th matches the website's 6.7'
        > measurement. So assuming my calculations from the eyepiece's scale
        > arc minutes are correct here is the data I have collected so far:
        > 10/29/07 05:45 CDT = 6.7'
        > 10/29/07 21:00 CDT = 8.4'
        > 10/30/07 06:00 CDT = 9.08'
        > 10/30/07 20:45 CDT = 9.75'
        > 10/31/07 05:40 CDT = 10.43'
        > 10/31/07 20:30 CDT = 11.1'
        > 11/1/07 05:30 CDT = 11.77'
        >
        > Reagan
        >
        > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Ashcraft"
        > <rashcraf@> wrote:
        > >
        > > What did you get for the diameter of the bright portion?
        > >
        > > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, Reagan Herman
        > > <reaganherman@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I also observed Comet Holmes Monday night with my 15".
        > > > Without the benefit (?) of the Moon's glare, I could
        > > > see a faint glow around the brightest portion of the
        > > > comet that we have all been observing. I'd estimate
        > > > that this very low surface brightness outer halo is
        > > > perhaps 3 times the diameter of the brighter portion
        > > > of the comet. The bright outer "shell" seems less
        > > > apparent to me now and maybe a bit more diffuse on the
        > > > western trailing edge. The color also seems less
        > > > golden to me and maybe a little more bluish. The whole
        > > > thing also seems larger to me now. So using a 12.5mm
        > > > Celestron astrometric eyepiece and Caitie's 5" f/8 I
        > > > took a measurement. Over the next several days I'll
        > > > take more measurements and see if I'm right or just
        > > > hallucinating.
        > > > I looked again this morning and could not see the
        > > > outer halo in the Moon's light.
        > > > Reagan Herman

      • James Rhodes
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007