New to skywatching

  • Nick Greene
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
      Question for all the astonomy buffs out there.

      I finally got a telescope, well sort of :) I came
      across a meade reflector (yes yes a walmart telescope,
      but better than nothing!) I really didnt know much
      about what to get, and quite frankly wasnt sure I
      would find it all that interesting. So since I had the
      opportunity to get one for really cheap (used my
      umpteen thousand gattiland tickets and got this one --
      dont ask lol ) I have actually had quite a good time
      the last couple of months looking through it, when I
      could stand to be outside more than 10 minutes!
      ANYWAY to my question.. I got an electronic focuser
      which works OK. BUT the mechanism is cheap.. go
      figure ... from a walmart scope I have an adapter for
      1.25 or 2" eyepieces, is there anything of better
      quality I can get to replace the focus mechanism on
      this scope? of course I plan on getting something of
      higher quality at some time in the future but so far
      this seems ok. Thanks for any help/advice anyone can
      give.

      Nick

      Nick, Christina, Fredrick (MSC2), Gretchen (CAG)http://www.ourparrotflock.com

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Reagan Herman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
        Hello Nick,
        Welcome to the hobby. There is always something better
        to put on a telescope. Unfortunately that almost
        always means more money. Don't feel bad about a
        walmart telescope. That is were most of us started out
        and they can be made to function better. As one of our
        members likes to say "All telescopes are kits."
        Without seeing the telescope it hard to suggest a
        diffent focuser. And a good quality focuser may well
        cost more than the telescope you have. But from my
        experience, a better quality mount or a nice eyepiece
        may serve you better than messing with the focuser.
        And when appeture fever strikes and you decide you
        want a bigger telescope you can always use the
        eyepiece with the next scope.
        I might also suggest a nice sky atlas.
        Are you in the Amarillo area?
        Reagan Herman
        --- Nick Greene <ramdisk@...> wrote:

        > Question for all the astonomy buffs out there.
        >
        > I finally got a telescope, well sort of :) I came
        > across a meade reflector (yes yes a walmart
        > telescope,
        > but better than nothing!) I really didnt know much
        > about what to get, and quite frankly wasnt sure I
        > would find it all that interesting. So since I had
        > the
        > opportunity to get one for really cheap (used my
        > umpteen thousand gattiland tickets and got this one
        > --
        > dont ask lol ) I have actually had quite a good
        > time
        > the last couple of months looking through it, when I
        > could stand to be outside more than 10 minutes!
        > ANYWAY to my question.. I got an electronic focuser
        > which works OK. BUT the mechanism is cheap.. go
        > figure ... from a walmart scope I have an adapter
        > for
        > 1.25 or 2" eyepieces, is there anything of better
        > quality I can get to replace the focus mechanism on
        > this scope? of course I plan on getting something
        > of
        > higher quality at some time in the future but so far
        > this seems ok. Thanks for any help/advice anyone
        > can
        > give.
        >
        > Nick
        >
        > Nick, Christina, Fredrick (MSC2), Gretchen
        > (CAG)http://www.ourparrotflock.com

        > protection around
        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Terrill Bartlett
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
          Nick,

          I agree with everything Reagan suggested. I might also pass on that the club
          is meeting this Friday at the Discovery Center in Amarillo at 7:30pm. That
          is of course if you are in the Amarillo area. We certainly welcome you to
          come and join the madness, uhh, I mean fun. :-)

          Terrill

          _____

          <http://www.ourparrotflock.com> tflock.com