Re: [Amarillo Astronomy Club] Clayton Lake

  • Jim Fitch
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 2, 2005
      The NWS is predicting clear skies tonight and tomorrow night at
      Clayton. I can't get there tonight, but....

      I did get a look at Comet Temple (P9) last night. It doesn't look
      coppery - yet... It is getting pretty bright, though. It has a short
      fan tail. I'm glad they are going to blast it, but I think it was going
      to miss us anyway. (It was moving against the background stars) I would
      feel a lot better if they were going to blast comet Z1, maybe we would
      have a chance of survival if it only had one spiral arm.

      See you at Clayton Lake...
    • Terrill Bartlett
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2005
        Which area of the park does everyone usually go to? I might be able to make
        it Friday night.
        Terrill
      • Jim Fitch
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2005
          We go to "Star Point", of course. Stay to the left after entering the
          Park. Go past the ranger station and continue onto the gravel road.
          There will be a turn to the right that ends at a couple of picnic
          tables in what used to be called the group camping area. It's pretty
          easy to spot. Or, you could ask the ranger.

          Jim
        • Jim Fitch
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 5, 2005
            What a weekend! I wish more of you could have made it. Last night had
            the best sky I've seen in a long time. Bob, Terry and I are no longer
            photon deprived. We did loose a little sleep, though. We will have to
            do it again - soon.
          • Reagan Herman
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 9, 2005
              Glad you guys had a good time. I'm still on vacation.
              Just drove up from Padre Island/Corpus Christi to
              Arlington. FYI - the sky sucks on Padre (and Austin).
              The salt water spray has eaten/etched the coating off
              of my glasses and I'm trying to look through frosted
              glass. (Jim - I called your office and had them order
              me some new lenses.) I'm glad I kept my little ETX
              capped and the TeleVue products seeled in there case.
              I was afraid to even get my old binos out and watch
              the birds down there.
              Funny thing about wearing astronomy t-shirts. You meet
              other amateur astronomers. I met the director of
              Corpus's planetarium and at the Texas State Aquarium
              one of the staff biologist cornered me and told me
              about starting a club in Orange, TX. And at the Padre
              Island National Seashore on of the park rangers told
              me about their fledgling astronomy program.
              Reagan

              --- Jim Fitch <jf@...> wrote:

              > What a weekend! I wish more of you could have made
              > it. Last night had
              > the best sky I've seen in a long time. Bob, Terry
              > and I are no longer
              > photon deprived. We did loose a little sleep,
              > though. We will have to
              > do it again - soon.

              __________________________________
              Discover Yahoo!
              http://discover.yahoo.com/
            • bob_hill12000
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 29, 2005
                I trust everyone got home safely after our second annual cloud watch
                and picnic.

                One of the items discussed at the feed was an observing run up to
                Clayton Lake this coming weekend. Their website says that Star Point
                is closed for construction. Well, your roving reporter is planning to
                check out the construction on Thursday, weather willing. The weather
                service is saying something about a 10% chance for Thurs-Sat eves,
                those of us who have experienced the weather there know how exciting
                that can be.

                I will try to get the news back to someone on Thurs eve as to if there
                is any place we can set up. I am possibly thinking of the area to the
                west of Star Point, but I don't remember how much area that location
                has available. Any of us who remember, chime in now.

                Bob
              • Terrill Bartlett
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 30, 2005
                  Hey, the picnic should have been in Canadian. Skies were clear here except
                  for a huge cloud bank way off to the west ;-)
                  Terrill

                  I trust everyone got home safely after our second annual cloud watch
                  and picnic.

                  One of the items discussed at the feed was an observing run up to
                  Clayton Lake this coming weekend. Their website says that Star Point
                  is closed for construction. Well, your roving reporter is planning to
                  check out the construction on Thursday, weather willing. The weather
                  service is saying something about a 10% chance for Thurs-Sat eves,
                  those of us who have experienced the weather there know how exciting
                  that can be.

                  I will try to get the news back to someone on Thurs eve as to if there
                  is any place we can set up. I am possibly thinking of the area to the
                  west of Star Point, but I don't remember how much area that location
                  has available. Any of us who remember, chime in now.

                  Bob

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Jim Fitch
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                    This message is being relayed for the Roving Reporter.

                    I'm at Clayton Lake State Park waiting for storm #3 to roll through.
                    There is blue sky to the west. (Optomistic isn't he?)

                    Construction is in progress at the new Star Point Group Camping area.
                    Several observing pads are poured already and a roll-off-roof
                    abservatory is in place. The parking area has been moved closer to
                    the road, enlarged and somewhat leveled. The area is not open at
                    present, so I'm set up in the smaller camping area to the west. We
                    may get a bit crowded!

                    Hope to see stars and AAC members this weekend,

                    Bob

                    I'm going to leave for the Lake on Friday afternoon. Let's hope that
                    not every weekend in September is cloudy!

                    Jim
                  • quarkcsj
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                      Wow, it looks like you guys are really moving up in the world.
                      Poured pads and a roll-off-roof observatory!

                      It's exciting times at the San Diego club too. We are aquiring a 30"
                      scope and land for a 2nd Dark Site.

                      I believe the settings in this group does not allow replies by e-
                      mail, so I have to actually log into the group to reply which with
                      the bandwith out here on the ship and in the Gulf, makes it about 500
                      times harder.

                      I got to see stars for the first time in 2 months yesterday. As I
                      was getting off the ship when we pulled into port, I spotted Venus
                      and Jupiter hanging low in the West. They were the only 2 stars you
                      could see.

                      Carey

                      --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Fitch" <jf@a...>
                      wrote:
                      > This message is being relayed for the Roving Reporter.
                      >
                      > I'm at Clayton Lake State Park waiting for storm #3 to roll
                      through.
                      > There is blue sky to the west. (Optomistic isn't he?)
                      >
                      > Construction is in progress at the new Star Point Group Camping
                      area.
                      > Several observing pads are poured already and a roll-off-roof
                      > abservatory is in place. The parking area has been moved closer to
                      > the road, enlarged and somewhat leveled. The area is not open at
                      > present, so I'm set up in the smaller camping area to the west. We
                      > may get a bit crowded!
                      >
                      > Hope to see stars and AAC members this weekend,
                      >
                      > Bob
                      >

                      > I'm going to leave for the Lake on Friday afternoon. Let's hope
                      that
                      > not every weekend in September is cloudy!
                      >
                      > Jim
                    • tzimmerman
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 4, 2005
                        Ahhh yes....."Roving Reporter".....gaining valuable field experience before becoming the official "newsletter editor" (grin) Wish I was there. I just got back from Kansas this evening after getting my nephew married off last night. I am ready to go observing now.

                        Terry

                        Jim Fitch <jf@...> wrote:
                        This message is being relayed for the Roving Reporter.

                        I'm at Clayton Lake State Park waiting for storm #3 to roll through.
                        There is blue sky to the west. (Optomistic isn't he?)

                        Construction is in progress at the new Star Point Group Camping area.
                        Several observing pads are poured already and a roll-off-roof
                        abservatory is in place. The parking area has been moved closer to
                        the road, enlarged and somewhat leveled. The area is not open at
                        present, so I'm set up in the smaller camping area to the west. We
                        may get a bit crowded!

                        Hope to see stars and AAC members this weekend,

                        Bob

                        I'm going to leave for the Lake on Friday afternoon. Let's hope that
                        not every weekend in September is cloudy!

                        Jim

                        Custom photo album Wedding photo albums Dvd photo album Digital photo album Personalized photo album Astronomy gift