The donated 16" is going to be refurbished.

  • starreckoner
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hi all-

      I thought I'd let you know that both my and Paul Fisher's small research grants were
      funded. Unfortunately the big NSF proposal for an observatory wasnot. But it can
      probably be resubmitted at a more modest level.

      This means we will have the money from WTAMU to resurface the 16" mirror, and buy a
      CCD and filter wheel for photometry. That's Paul's bailiwick if you want more details.

      I get to get several pairs of big binoculars with mounts, etc. to involve students in visual
      photometry (estimating by eye), and the AAVSO's hands on astrophysics curriculum.

      This good news invited the snow in after Halloween, of course.
      -David
    • Jim Fitch
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2004
        David, Congratulations! Maybe the NSF will see the light at some
        point. I wish everyone would take note of the Moon phase when getting
        good news (or equipment).

        Jim