Program for kids?

  • virgatum
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2004
      Hello, I am a science teacher at Vega and I attended your workshop
      last May. It was awesome and really got me excited about teaching my
      students about astronomy. I spoke with someone about bringing the
      telescopes out to our school but have since lost their contact info.
      I would love for you to come share your enthusiasm and knowledge with
      my students.

      If any of you know who I can contact I would really appreciate the
      info. This would be such a treat for us since funds are limited and
      we don't really get to do a lot of "cool" stuff. Thank you so much-
      and thanks to those of you who taught us teachers a lot about what's
      really out there in the sky. I still make a point to go out every
      night just to see what's up there. :o)

      Jennifer Stroup
      jastroup@...
      267-0828
    • Jim Fitch
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
        Jennifer,

        You may have talked to me. The club is trying to find a way to
        provide school groups and others a chance to tour the stars without
        spreading ourselves too thin. I think we may have some ideas shortly
        and I hope your class can be involved.

        Would the school be able to transport the kids to a central location,
        like Wildcat Bluff? Would they be able to transport the kids to
        Bushland school if we could combine those two groups? What date did
        you have in mind? What time of evening would work for your class?

        I'm not in charge at this time, but am very interested getting the
        program to your class.

        Jim

        --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "virgatum"
        <jastroup@p...> wrote:

        > Hello, I am a science teacher at Vega and I attended your workshop
        > last May. It was awesome and really got me excited about teaching
        my
        > students about astronomy. I spoke with someone about bringing the
        > telescopes out to our school but have since lost their contact
        info.
        > I would love for you to come share your enthusiasm and knowledge
        with
        > my students.
        >
        > If any of you know who I can contact I would really appreciate the
        > info. This would be such a treat for us since funds are limited
        and
        > we don't really get to do a lot of "cool" stuff. Thank you so much-
        > and thanks to those of you who taught us teachers a lot about
        what's
        > really out there in the sky. I still make a point to go out every
        > night just to see what's up there. :o)
        >
        > Jennifer Stroup
        > jastroup@p...
        > 267-0828
      • virgatum
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
          Jim, thanks so much for your reply. I do think it was you that I
          talked to. I remember you mentioning getting together with
          Bushland. We could do that, or we could meet at Wildcat Bluff.
          Anything I can do that makes things easier for y'all hauling those
          expensive telescopes around!

          I'm thinking of a group the size of 35-40 (age 14-17). We were
          hoping to go some time before Thanksgiving (before it gets too cold)
          or we could wait until the spring. Maybe meet right after sunset?
          Whatever works best for y'all.

          We are going to try to bring our own telescopes. Do you remember the
          little cardboard ones that we made at the workshop? The ones we had
          a hard time using? The kids are much better at it than we were! I'd
          like for them to be able to find things in the sky on their own too.
          Most of them are very interested in astronomy now. After our
          workshop last May I came back to class very excited and enthusiastic
          about astronomy. We did a unit on astronomy and I encouraged the
          kids to go out and see what I described to them from the workshop.
          They loved it and have been talking about it since the beginning of
          school. They can't wait to actually look through a real telescope
          where they can see things so much better. It will blow them away and
          they'll be hooked for life!

          I think its so great that y'all are willing to share your time and
          equipment to help encourage and inspire kids. Just let me know when
          and where and we'll be there!

          Thank you!
          Jennifer

          --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Fitch" <jf@a...>
          wrote:

          > Jennifer,
          >
          > You may have talked to me. The club is trying to find a way to
          > provide school groups and others a chance to tour the stars without
          > spreading ourselves too thin. I think we may have some ideas
          shortly
          > and I hope your class can be involved.
          >
          > Would the school be able to transport the kids to a central
          location,
          > like Wildcat Bluff? Would they be able to transport the kids to
          > Bushland school if we could combine those two groups? What date did
          > you have in mind? What time of evening would work for your class?
          >
          > I'm not in charge at this time, but am very interested getting the
          > program to your class.
          >
          > Jim
          >
          > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "virgatum"
          > <jastroup@p...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello, I am a science teacher at Vega and I attended your
          workshop
          > > last May. It was awesome and really got me excited about
          teaching
          > my
          > > students about astronomy. I spoke with someone about bringing
          the
          > > telescopes out to our school but have since lost their contact
          > info.
          > > I would love for you to come share your enthusiasm and knowledge
          > with
          > > my students.
          > >
          > > If any of you know who I can contact I would really appreciate
          the
          > > info. This would be such a treat for us since funds are limited
          > and
          > > we don't really get to do a lot of "cool" stuff. Thank you so
          much-
          > > and thanks to those of you who taught us teachers a lot about
          > what's
          > > really out there in the sky. I still make a point to go out
          every
          > > night just to see what's up there. :o)
          > >
          > > Jennifer Stroup
          > > jastroup@p...
          > > 267-0828
        • Jim Fitch
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 17, 2004
            Jennifer, Sorry for the delay in my reply. Several of us spent the
            week at Kenton, OK stargazing (maybe we should have taken raincoats).
            I just got back.

            I will make sure that the right people are informed and see what we
            can do. Your being able to meet us at Wildcat Bluff is a big help.

            More later,

            Jim