scaling

  • Mikolaj J. Habryn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000
      I have a further quibble with amanda, it would appear. I set up a
      bunch of backup targets for a particular host. The selfcheck failed
      miserably - apparently due to a deadlock between amandad and
      selfcheck. Both were blocked writing to their respective ends of the
      pipe, and presumably, the pipe buffer had filled.

      I had a quick look at the amandad state machine, but it occurred to
      me that there might well be some kind of communications issues with
      passing that much data to amanda anyway (does amandad reassemble a
      stream of udp packets correctly?), so I didn't try to make it fully
      asynchronous, but it doesn't look too awkward.

      For some context, I have a NetApp filer that I'd like to back up
      using an external system (this being an i386 running Linux). Needless
      to say, the data on the filer is rather voluminous, so I was planning
      to slice it up into a boatload of little directories that are
      comfortably smaller than a single tape. Not a fantastic solution, but
      the first one that occurred to me :P

      Does the above behaviour count as a bug, or is it merely outside
      spec?

      m.