Newbie here: Purchasing a camera

  • Pranav Negandhi
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi peeps,
      I'm just starting to get into this photography stuff, and I was wondering
      what SLR to purchase. I'm sorry if this subject is OT here. Pls tell me if
      it is so and I'll shut up...promise :o)

      I've looked around and found the Nikon FM10 to be the most recommened one.
      But at 14K (that's in Rupees), it's rather out of budget right now. I found
      Vivitar to be a reasonable buy (starting at abt 7K). Can someone tell me if
      this is a good make for a beginner? I want to concentrate mostly on outdoors
      photography - panoramas, landscapes and wildlife. I'd prolly use it for
      indoors work too at times such as during weddings and parties. So I guess a
      flash would be needed here.

      Currently I own an Olympus 700XB compact. You can see the results on my
      website www.cimultimedia.com in the Attic section. These snaps have been
      touched up a bit with Photoshop. Thanks.

      Pranav Negandhi
      concept-I
      www.cimultimedia.com
    • elphoto828
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2003
        Pranav,

        I've heard that the Canon "Rebel" SLR series are toted as
        having broken the "price barrier" I don't own one but pros
        who've review 'em say that there are a few less features than
        the high priced SLR cameras but work well in most situations.

        That's all I can offer. Happy hunting.
        You may want to post back what you finally got and if it works
        up to your expectations, etc.

        Bye for now,

        Your "new" ole' bud',

        Karl Marcel Koenen
        'El Photo Studio
        Minneapolis, MN
        USA.

        --- In am-photo@yahoogroups.com, "Pranav Negandhi" <pranav@c...>
        wrote:
        > Hi peeps,
        > I'm just starting to get into this photography stuff, and I was
        wondering
        > what SLR to purchase. I'm sorry if this subject is OT here. Pls
        tell me if
        > it is so and I'll shut up...promise :o)
        >
        > I've looked around and found the Nikon FM10 to be the most
        recommened one.
        > But at 14K (that's in Rupees), it's rather out of budget right
        now. I found
        > Vivitar to be a reasonable buy (starting at abt 7K). Can someone
        tell me if
        > this is a good make for a beginner? I want to concentrate mostly
        on outdoors
        > photography - panoramas, landscapes and wildlife. I'd prolly use
        it for
        > indoors work too at times such as during weddings and parties. So
        I guess a
        > flash would be needed here.
        >
        > Currently I own an Olympus 700XB compact. You can see the results
        on my
        > website www.cimultimedia.com in the Attic section. These snaps
        have been
        > touched up a bit with Photoshop. Thanks.
        >

        > Pranav Negandhi
        > concept-I
        > www.cimultimedia.com
      • Pranav Negandhi
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2003
          Thnx Karl. I'll hv a look around.

          Pranav Negandhi
          concept-I
          www.cimultimedia.com
        • Pranav Negandhi
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 10, 2003
            Hiya listers,
            One of my friends will be going to London next month so I was thinking of
            asking him to get me my camera from there. But I'd like to do this only if
            there is a significant price difference. Is there anyone here from London
            who can tell me the price of a Nikon FM10? If the difference isn't much then
            I'd rather not wait that long and buy it right now from here. I'd also like
            it if you could suggest names of some reliable shops where he can look
            around.

            Thanks.

            Pranav Negandhi
            concept-I
            www.cimultimedia.com
          • Pranav Negandhi
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 10, 2003
              Hiya listers,
              One of my friends will be going to London next month so I was thinking of
              asking him to get me my camera from there. But I'd like to do this only if
              there is a significant price difference. Is there anyone on this list from
              London who can tell me the price of a Nikon FM10? If the difference isn't
              much then I'd rather not wait that long and instead buy it right now from