copyright issues

  • Dan Rose
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003
      Can anyone tell me what, if anything, can be done if someone is using
      my photos on their website without permission?
    • Tom Sanders
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003
        Notify them that they are using your property without your permission, and
        demand that they stop. If they don't, your next step is to contact a lawyer
        and see if it's worth the hassle to take any further action.

        >From: "Dan Rose" <djroffroad@...>
        >To: am-photo@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [am-photo] copyright issues
        >Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 18:27:08 -0000
        >
        >Can anyone tell me what, if anything, can be done if someone is using
        >my photos on their website without permission?

      • .Ye Olde DecanterShoppe
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003
          Did you have copyright info on your site where they took the photos? If so,
          the first thing you should do is ask them to remove them immediately,
          mentioning that they were copyrighted, showing them where it states that
          will help.

          Should they refuse and you want to persue the issue legally, you must buy a
          copyright which takes about 2 months or more (if you haven't already), then
          legal action can be taken. Here are the U.S. copyright laws.
          http://www.loc.gov/copyright/ It could take years.

          It's very costly and sometimes not worth the effort financially, unless your
          images are spectacular and worth a great deal to you. Usually asking them to
          be removed works.

          Good luck!

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003
            I heard copyrights talked about on the radio the other day. Lawyer said
            that if you identify it as being copyrighted, then you can sue them to stop
            using your photo. However, you cannot sue for damages. If you file the
            copyright with the government, then you can sue them for everything.

            Scott

            > Did you have copyright info on your site where they took the photos? If
            so,
            > the first thing you should do is ask them to remove them immediately,
            > mentioning that they were copyrighted, showing them where it states that
            > will help.
            >
            > Should they refuse and you want to persue the issue legally, you must buy
            > copyright which takes about 2 months or more (if you haven't already),
            then
            > legal action can be taken. Here are the U.S. copyright laws.
            > http://www.loc.gov/copyright/ It could take years.
            >
            > It's very costly and sometimes not worth the effort financially, unless
            your
            > images are spectacular and worth a great deal to you. Usually asking them
            > be removed works.
            >
            > Good luck!

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Dan R.
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003
              Thank you all for the quik replies. He is not using them for profit,
              but is using it to promote his truck club. It basically comes down to
              me and him not getting along. I have been thinking about it for a week
              & decided he does not have the rights to use them & I don't want him
              to. I have asked him to stop using them, and so has some other people
              from other web sites where he is using them. But I don't ever expect to
              get a response.

              He got the pictures from AOL picture service, & this is what they
              say..."The moment someone creates an original photo, image, writing,
              piece of music, home page, or other material, it is copyrighted
              automatically."

              This has always been my understanding of copyrights & I know it's his
              too because we have discussed this issue in depth. I don't want to get
              involved in a court case, because it's not worth it. But I would like
              to find a way to get him to stop using them. Especially when I have my
              own 4x4 club, and claim to have nothing to do with his truck club.

              =====

              76 F100

              Wheel by Feel

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • perki88
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003
                http://www.sticky-marketing.net/articles/the-ethics-of-copyright.htm

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003
                  You wrote: He got the pictures from AOL picture service, & this is what they
                  say..."

                  Maybe I am mis-understanding, did you take these pictures yourself?

                  Your wrote:..."The moment someone creates an original photo, image, writing,
                  piece of music, home page, or other material, it is copyrighted
                  automatically."

                  That's a very fine line, best to read the rules on that government site I
                  sent you, they are laid out pretty clearly.

                  > Thank you all for the quik replies. He is not using them for profit,
                  > but is using it to promote his truck club. It basically comes down to
                  > me and him not getting along. I have been thinking about it for a week
                  > & decided he does not have the rights to use them & I don't want him
                  > to. I have asked him to stop using them, and so has some other people
                  > from other web sites where he is using them. But I don't ever expect to
                  > get a response.
                  >
                  > He got the pictures from AOL picture service, & this is what they
                  > say..."The moment someone creates an original photo, image, writing,
                  > piece of music, home page, or other material, it is copyrighted
                  > automatically."
                  >
                  > This has always been my understanding of copyrights & I know it's his
                  > too because we have discussed this issue in depth. I don't want to get
                  > involved in a court case, because it's not worth it. But I would like
                  > to find a way to get him to stop using them. Especially when I have my
                  > own 4x4 club, and claim to have nothing to do with his truck club.
                  >

                  > =====
                  >
                  > 76 F100
                  >
                  > Wheel by Feel

                  > http://sbc.yahoo.com

                • Dan R.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003
                    Yes, I took the pictures with my own camera. I used AOL's Picture
                    Service to allow other people to view them on-line. Similar to Web
                    shots.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 4, 2003
                      If he is an AOL member too, perhaps you could complain to them. Even
                      if he isn't, I would question about his "lifting" your photo.