Digital camera

  • PhotogrByCynthia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
      HI!
      I have an oppertunity to buy a digital camera. Hopefully someone out there
      has some experiance with these two cameeras. I have been looiking into the
      Canon D60 and the Olympus 20n . I have canon lenses but more expensive. ( and
      right now hard to find) How big can I get the prints from either camera. I
      shoot portraits mainly and want to use my digital for that and weddings. I
      also have a medium format i would use. From what i understand digital right
      now is as good as a 35mm? I would really to get prints bigger than 11x14.
      Thank you

      Cynthia Donati
      Photography By Cynthia

    • .VectorAnimations
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
        I can't comment on the cameras you mentioned but from what I have seen 35mm still rules over digital. Right now I am in the middle of running a test, 35mm slides compared to digital. I will take the same shot with both cameras. Unfortunately, I only have my digital to use and it may not be the best in the world, but the test image will be shot at it's highest resolution. I do know which will come out on top but I would like a comparison image to prove it. It may be a few weeks before this is done but I will share my results with the group.

        I'm not saying you can't get satisfactory results with a digital camera but some people are just that fussy. I also believe if your in the photography business, then sell the best possible image you can.

        Good luck on your camera search.
        I have an oppertunity to buy a digital camera. Hopefully someone out there
        has some experiance with these two cameeras. I have been looiking into the
        Canon D60 and the Olympus 20n . I have canon lenses but more expensive. ( and
        right now hard to find) How big can I get the prints from either camera. I
        shoot portraits mainly and want to use my digital for that and weddings. I
        also have a medium format i would use. From what i understand digital right
        now is as good as a 35mm? I would really to get prints bigger than 11x14.
        Thank you

        Cynthia Donati
        Photography By Cynthia

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • salatrel3
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
          --- In am-photo@y..., PhotogrByCynthia@a... wrote:
          > HI!
          > I have an oppertunity to buy a digital camera. Hopefully someone
          out there
          > has some experiance with these two cameeras. I have been looiking
          into the
          > Canon D60 and the Olympus 20n . I have canon lenses but more
          expensive. ( and
          > right now hard to find) How big can I get the prints from either
          camera. I
          > shoot portraits mainly and want to use my digital for that and
          weddings. I
          > also have a medium format i would use. From what i understand
          digital right
          > now is as good as a 35mm? I would really to get prints bigger than
          11x14.
          > Thank you
          >
          > Cynthia Donati
          > Photography By Cynthia

          Hi Cynthia,
          Well the Olympus E-20N was my other choice for a camera in the $1000
          range..I wish i had bought it but the lens was not what i wanted. It
          is a 5 megapixal camera that i have seen featured in the magazine
          quite often. the pros use it a lot.

          the Olympus does not have interchangeable lense..but there are pricy
          attachment that they offer..not sure how useful they are..does anyone
          have any info on the wide angle and telephoto attachement of the
          nikon coolpix? while in Florida i tried a wide angle attachment on my
          diamge and for 200 bucks there was really no difference..not a $200
          difference anyway.

          the 35-140 zoom this camera has is just what you need for your
          portraits. it is a heavy camera as reported by photographic magazine
          in its august issue..but it is balanced and confortable in ones
          hands.

          it has a pop up flash, a hotshoe for auxilary flash and a pc cord
          connector for studio lighting..just what you need for portrait work.
          the more i read the more i wish i had bought this camera instead. I
          am finding myself limited with my dimage already.

          long exposures come out very nice too with the olympus noise
          reduction. so there is less grain and no snow in your long exposure
          shots of a second or more.

          the olympus's uncompressed files can be as large as 15 mb..that makes
          for a nice size image. what kind of printer do you have? it is the
          printer that makes a huge differnce as well. when they start talking
          about PIM technology. (Printer Image Matching i think) that is when
          your imaging software, you camera and printer are all communicating
          optimally.

          the new epson 1250 or something like that i have seen make beautiful
          images of 11x14 and larger. anything larger and that is when you
          might need to bring it to the imaging shop and have them do it up on
          their $5000 machine.

          the cannon D 60 is a familiar name..but i dont ahve the information
          at my finger tips right now. I ahd to do about three months of
          research and learning before i settled on my camera. I knew what kind
          of pictures i take and i like the 28-210 zoom on my camera and it is
          the only camera with 5 MB to have this kind of lens.

          her is a tid bit about the cannon D-60. It is more money about 2000
          or more depending on where you buy it. It is a 6 MP camera..with
          interchangable lens. with an iso of 100 - 1000 wow that is very nice.
          if i had the monoey i would go with the cannon and save up for the
          lenses. but i think this price comes with the body only and you have
          to purchase cannon EF lens.
          try to pick up a few magazine..like Photographic. they will teach
          you all you need to know about digital cameras.
          Salatrel
        • PhotogrByCynthia@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2002
            Thank you all sooo much for the information. And I did it ! I have my Canon
            D60 right here! I am so excited! Opens a whole new world of option for
            photography for me. So far it is excellent. Althought I have anothere
            question. As to the Raw mode. What is it? I think I heard someone say that is
            is better to take in Raw mode and change to a Tif right? I s that the best
            way of makeing and sending the image to a professional lab? Can someone offer
            some tips on this? Ihave photoshop 7. and the software that came with the
            camera.

            Cynthia Donati
            Photography By Cynthia

          • salatrel3
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2002
              --- In am-photo@y..., PhotogrByCynthia@a... wrote:
              > Thank you all sooo much for the information. And I did it ! I have
              my Canon
              > D60 right here! I am so excited! Opens a whole new world of option
              for
              > photography for me. So far it is excellent. Althought I have
              anothere
              > question. As to the Raw mode. What is it? I think I heard someone
              say that is
              > is better to take in Raw mode and change to a Tif right? I s that
              the best
              > way of makeing and sending the image to a professional lab? Can
              someone offer
              > some tips on this? Ihave photoshop 7. and the software that came
              with the
              > camera.
              >
              > Cynthia Donati
              > Photography By Cynthia

              Good for you cynthia..hope you are still enjoying your new baby now
              that it is a month old..
              raw mode I think is uncompressed..so it is the largest image
              available. Have you tried that mode yet? have you printed anything
              yet?

              Salatrel
            • PhotogrByCynthia@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2002
                I have figured a few things about it now. I have just sent some things off to
                the lab and should be back here any day! cant wiat to see them! And yes the
                RAW mode is wonderful as far as i can tell. I know you dont really want to
                use the JPEG. or you have to convert before you open. I tryed it and i got
                lots of missing information everyting i opened the file! And yes i still love
                it !!!!! Worth every penny.
                cynthia

              • Andre Schneider
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 6, 2002
                  Hello Cynthia,

                  Congratulations on your new camera! I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot!

                  The RAW mode is where the camera saves exactly what the sensor
                  captured, with no corrections, adjusts or anything. It just takes the
                  information that the sensor captured and writes to the card. So things
                  like White Balance will be done when you convert the RAW file in
                  Photoshop or using the camera software. The advantages of using RAW are
                  that you don't modify the original capture. If you use Jpeg, for
                  example, the settings you used (white balance, sharpness, contrast) are
                  written on the file and you can't change that afterwards if you want.
                  With the RAW format, you can play with the file afterwards on your
                  computer and then find the better settings of sharpness, etc for that
                  particular photo you want.

                  Hope this helped!

                  Andre

                  On Tuesday, November 5, 2002, at 10:46 PM, salatrel3 wrote:

                  > --- In am-photo@y..., PhotogrByCynthia@a... wrote:
                  > > Thank you allĀ  sooo much for the information. And I did it ! I have
                  > my Canon
                  > > D60 right here! I am so excited! Opens a whole new world of option
                  > for
                  > > photography for me. So far it is excellent. Althought I have
                  > anothere
                  > > question. As to the Raw mode. What is it? I think I heard someone
                  > say that is
                  > > is better to take in Raw mode and change to a Tif right? I s that
                  > the best
                  > > way of makeing and sending the image to a professional lab? Can
                  > someone offer
                  > > some tips on this? Ihave photoshop 7. and the software that came
                  > with the
                  > > camera.
                  > >
                  > > Cynthia Donati
                  > > Photography By Cynthia
                  >

                  > Good for you cynthia..hope you are still enjoying your new baby now
                  > that it is a month old..
                  > raw mode I think is uncompressed..so it is the largest image
                  > available. Have you tried that mode yet? have you printed anything
                  > yet?
                  >
                  > Salatrel

                • Andre Schneider
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 6, 2002
                    BTW, RAW is an uncompressed file (means it doesn't loose any
                    information) while Jpeg has some compression, even if it is small,
                    giving you a loss of information right out of the bat. Also, although
                    it's uncompressed, the RAW file is normally smaller than if you save as
                    a TIFF, but still larger than a Jpeg.