First Camera?

  • s'kat
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
      I am looking to take a beginner's photography class next month. I'd
      like some opinions of a good first camera: versatile, yet budget-
      conscious. Thanks!
    • Ani
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
        What u are looking for is an SLR...

        On a budget, huh? Well, me too.

        Here are my top reccomendations:

        1. Nikon FE 10: MF but has aperture priority

        2. Nikon FM 10: Same, but mechanical, all manual

        3. Cosina C1s: great cam (I have one) and anyways Cosina are the ones who make the FE and FM 10's for Nikon!
        Catch: No DoF preview button! :(

        And do buy a 50 mm lens and a 35-70 zoom to start with!

        Flash: Vivitar semi auto is what u need.

        Best, Ani.

        Cool Free Email(s) of my choice ???
        Yep, visit http://www.surfout.com
      • gary palmer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
          "I am looking to take a beginner's photography class next month. I'd
          like some opinions of a good first camera: versatile, yet budget-
          conscious. Thanks!"

          REPLY:

          Depends on how budget conscious and what you need. Canon AE1, Olympus OM1
          (or 2), Pentax K1000, or Minolta SRT-202 would probably be good fairly
          inexpensive cameras. If you could afford it a Nikon "F" series would be
          ideal, or even a Nikon E series (EM's can be had for $100-200 with 50mm
          lens)on ebay.

        • G. Peter Dorian
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
            I have 3 still cameras. I have one that is my favorite and the camera that I do my serious big color photos. That camera is an old Yashica-635 Black Mat that I got for $50 from a photographer friend. It is a medium format, and it's all manual. So much for fancy features!

            Seriously, if your in the market for your first camera get a cheep Instamatic or a nice used one. I've actually shown some photos in a gallery that were taken with a $12 camera that used 110 film. A nice camera helps to make nice photos, but the quality of a photo is really dependent on the person behind the camera!

            Regards Peter

          • xemobeatdownx@sailormoon.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2001
              --- In am-photo@y..., "s'kat" <swingkat26@y...> wrote:
              > I am looking to take a beginner's photography class next month.
              I'd
              > like some opinions of a good first camera: versatile, yet budget-
              > conscious. Thanks!

              i found my first camera at a thrift store. it still works. any camera
              store will check it out for you for free. try flea markets, garage
              sales, pawn shops, or thrift stores. i'd recommend getting familiar
              with an older camera (a hell of a lot easier to use in my opinion)
              before spending 200+ on something else.

              nicole
            • salatrel@excite.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
                --- In am-photo@y..., Ani <theanimesh@s...> wrote:
                > What u are looking for is an SLR...
                >
                > On a budget, huh? Well, me too.
                >
                > Here are my top reccomendations:
                >
                > 1. Nikon FE 10: MF but has aperture priority
                >
                > 2. Nikon FM 10: Same, but mechanical, all manual
                >
                > 3. Cosina C1s: great cam (I have one) and anyways Cosina are the
                ones who make the FE and FM 10's for Nikon!
                > Catch: No DoF preview button! :(
                >
                > And do buy a 50 mm lens and a 35-70 zoom to start with!
                >
                > Flash: Vivitar semi auto is what u need.
                >
                > Best, Ani.

                if this is your first time with a (SLR)Single Lens Reflex..things
                like automatic focus and the little LCD display are going to run you
                more money. A fully manual camera like a minolta x-700 are student
                type cameras. You alter the focus, not the camera, can remove and
                replace the lens, be in control of the shutter speed and aperature
                with little knobs instead of computer buttons. It does have a (TTL)
                Through The Lens meter to tell you what shutter speed and aperature
                setting to use for a particular lighting situation and that way YOU
                can learn from the camera. good luck!

                Salatrel
              • Kimberly Roberts
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
                  Thanks for the tips Salatrel. I ended up getting a Yashica-AF for my first
                  camera and the little computer window to learn with is on the OUTSIDE! What
                  good does that do me when I am looking through the camara ready to take a
                  picture? I cannot tell what settings I am on.

                  Also, if you get a manual focus camera, make sure there is some reference to
                  see if it is in focus. Mine has AF/MF but in AF it beeps a lot and uses up
                  the batteries quickly ... but in MF sometimes photos come out slightly off,
                  since there is no little circles like in the canon to tell you that you are
                  focused.

                  Are those Nikon's economical or a bit on the high end? I'm interested in
                  moving up with my camera, since I hate having the window outside. But
                  equipment is so expensive... I look forward to more recommendations.

                  Kimberly

                  >From: salatrel@...
                  >To: am-photo@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [am-photo] Re: First Camera?
                  >Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 01:53:52 -0000
                  >
                  >--- In am-photo@y..., Ani <theanimesh@s...> wrote:
                  > > What u are looking for is an SLR...
                  > >
                  > > On a budget, huh? Well, me too.
                  > >
                  > > Here are my top reccomendations:
                  > >
                  > > 1. Nikon FE 10: MF but has aperture priority
                  > >
                  > > 2. Nikon FM 10: Same, but mechanical, all manual
                  > >
                  > > 3. Cosina C1s: great cam (I have one) and anyways Cosina are the
                  >ones who make the FE and FM 10's for Nikon!
                  > > Catch: No DoF preview button! :(
                  > >
                  > > And do buy a 50 mm lens and a 35-70 zoom to start with!
                  > >
                  > > Flash: Vivitar semi auto is what u need.
                  > >
                  > > Best, Ani.
                  > >

                  >if this is your first time with a (SLR)Single Lens Reflex..things
                  >like automatic focus and the little LCD display are going to run you
                  >more money. A fully manual camera like a minolta x-700 are student
                  >type cameras. You alter the focus, not the camera, can remove and
                  >replace the lens, be in control of the shutter speed and aperature
                  >with little knobs instead of computer buttons. It does have a (TTL)
                  >Through The Lens meter to tell you what shutter speed and aperature
                  >setting to use for a particular lighting situation and that way YOU
                  >can learn from the camera. good luck!
                  >
                  >Salatrel

                • Maureen Norris
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 7, 2001
                    As an SLR, I have a Canon AE1-Programmable... I also
                    have a Pentax (SLR). Both of them have done wonders as
                    teaching cameras, as they have different buttons, and
                    functions. :) Those would be my recommendations.
                    Bridget

                    a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/