confused

  • hazelfreeth
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
      hello my name is hazel this is the first time i have contacted anyone
      like this(internet)so i will make mistakes please bare with me,
      my husband aged 63 has just been diagnosed with early on-set dementia,i
      know nothing about this or how to react to him,and if things that are
      happening to him are due to the dementia or him getting older or the
      changes in his life style,for instance he has started to shuffle his
      feet,toilet humour is very funny(passing wind)compolsive eating,he
      sleeps alot and if he not sleeping he is eating,even foods he does not
      like if he sees it he must have it,i have lots more questions this is
      just a few to make contact,
    • dave griffith
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2007
        Unfortunately, all of those can be symptoms.

        If there is any quick wisdom, it is: keep your sense of humor, what you
        have left, and remember it is the disease and not your husband.

        Hope this helps a tiny bit. Check out the Alzheimer's Association at
        www.alz.org. If you can find a local support group, please do. There is
        lots of help out there.

        dave

        hazelfreeth wrote:

        > hello my name is hazel this is the first time i have contacted anyone
        > like this(internet)so i will make mistakes please bare with me,
        > my husband aged 63 has just been diagnosed with early on-set dementia,i
        > know nothing about this or how to react to him,and if things that are
        > happening to him are due to the dementia or him getting older or the
        > changes in his life style,for instance he has started to shuffle his
        > feet,toilet humour is very funny(passing wind)compolsive eating,he
        > sleeps alot and if he not sleeping he is eating,even foods he does not
        > like if he sees it he must have it,i have lots more questions this is
        > just a few to make contact,

      • cynsshadow
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2007
          my mother will shuffel her feet have you talked to your doctor

          > Unfortunately, all of those can be symptoms.
          >
          > If there is any quick wisdom, it is: keep your sense of humor, what
          you
          > have left, and remember it is the disease and not your husband.
          >
          > Hope this helps a tiny bit. Check out the Alzheimer's Association
          at
          > www.alz.org. If you can find a local support group, please do.
          There is
          > lots of help out there.
          >
          > dave
          >
          > hazelfreeth wrote:
          > >
          > > hello my name is hazel this is the first time i have contacted
          anyone
          > > like this(internet)so i will make mistakes please bare with me,
          > > my husband aged 63 has just been diagnosed with early on-set
          dementia,i
          > > know nothing about this or how to react to him,and if things that
          are
          > > happening to him are due to the dementia or him getting older or
          the
          > > changes in his life style,for instance he has started to shuffle
          his
          > > feet,toilet humour is very funny(passing wind)compolsive eating,he
          > > sleeps alot and if he not sleeping he is eating,even foods he
          does not
          > > like if he sees it he must have it,i have lots more questions
          this is
          > > just a few to make contact,

        • cynsshadow
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2007
            --- In alzheimers_support@yahoogroups.com, "hazelfreeth"
            <hazelfreeth@...> wrote:take him to a doctor

            > hello my name is hazel this is the first time i have contacted anyone
            > like this(internet)so i will make mistakes please bare with me,
            > my husband aged 63 has just been diagnosed with early on-set
            dementia,i
            > know nothing about this or how to react to him,and if things that are
            > happening to him are due to the dementia or him getting older or the
            > changes in his life style,for instance he has started to shuffle his
            > feet,toilet humour is very funny(passing wind)compolsive eating,he
            > sleeps alot and if he not sleeping he is eating,even foods he does
            not
            > like if he sees it he must have it,i have lots more questions this is
            > just a few to make contact,

          • DONNA MARTINEZ
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2007
              Hi Hazel,    you should start writing down all the humerous things that your husband does and share it with others.  Alzheimer victims can be a real hoot!!!   Also, they can be very fiesty - even if it isn't their normal personality.  Most importantly, don't forget that they don't really understand (realize) how they are behaving either!!!!!   Don't lose your patience and don't get discouraged.  You're facing some rough days ahead and some very sweet special moments!     My mother has Alz. for about 12 - 14 years now.  We didn't realize what was going on with her at first either. ( thought is was just signs of getting older )  I hope you can find a local Alz. support group and go to their meetings.  You learn so much... they sometimes have Doctors with new medication info. and lawyers to advise on making living wills and such.  It helped me so much as a caregiver to hear what others were going through - then my story didn't seem so bad...
              Pray for the Lord to give you all strength and courage and patience and love that you need every minute!!!!!
              Get your finances arranged in your name while your husband is still able.   Hope I have been helpful!

              cynsshadow <cynsshadow@...> wrote:
              --- In alzheimers_support@ yahoogroups. com, "hazelfreeth"
              <hazelfreeth@ ...> wrote:take him to a doctor

              > hello my name is hazel this is the first time i have contacted anyone
              > like this(internet) so i will make mistakes please bare with me,
              > my husband aged 63 has just been diagnosed with early on-set
              dementia,i
              > know nothing about this or how to react to him,and if things that are
              > happening to him are due to the dementia or him getting older or the
              > changes in his life style,for instance he has started to shuffle his
              > feet,toilet humour is very funny(passing wind)compolsive eating,he
              > sleeps alot and if he not sleeping he is eating,even foods he does
              not
              > like if he sees it he must have it,i have lots more questions this is
              > just a few to make contact,

              DONNA

              with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.