Alpha Flight #2: "Heart to Heart."

  • Tawmis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      Alpha Flight #2: "Heart to Heart."
      By: Tawmis

      In a time of darkness, heroes stood up and fought for their country
      that they loved so much. Hated by their own government, questioned
      by the people of Canada – Alpha Flight never stops to ask why they do
      what they do. They are heroes. It is their duty. Welcome –
      Vindicator! Guardian! Sasquatch! Northstar! Aurora! Shaman! Puck!
      Snowbird! Welcome to – Alpha Flight!

      Sasquatch looked at his enormous, orange, muscular and furry
      hands. "I can't stand being stuck in this body."

      "I do not know what to tell you," Aurora replied, her accent still
      quite thick.

      Sasquatch looked over at her, her small, shapely frame, beautiful to
      behold, while his own was large, muscular and out of proportion. "I
      don't seem to have much luck in the way of bodies. I go from my own,
      to Tarnaq's, then to Box, then to Snowbird's, then to a woman's
      form, then shifted to my original form, still with Snowbird's body;
      then kicked out of that, and back into Tarnaq's."

      "In time," Aurora tried to assure him, "you may learn to shift back
      to a human form. Michael says that in the readings, he sees that
      it's possible; but the body is unaware of how to do it."

      "I know," Sasquatch nodded, placing his head into his gigantic
      hands. "The thing is, the hero thing isn't what I always wanted to
      do with my life. I wanted to be a scientist. I sort of fell into
      this hero thing when Hudson found out about me. But first and
      foremost, I wanted to be a scientist; I wanted to unlock the secrets
      of the world." He looked once more at his hands, "And with these…
      hands of mine… there's no way I can handle fragile chemicals or
      glass vials."

      "Hey, you two," another voice whispered. "I ain't disturbing nothing
      am I?"

      Aurora turned around, "Kyle! No, no, nothing at all. We were just
      talking."

      She stood up and brushed herself off.

      Wildchild looked to Sasquatch. "Mind if I borrow her for a moment?
      There's a few things I needed to tell her, if you don't mind?"

      Sasquatch waved his hand. "No, no problem at all, Kyle. What we were
      talking about can wait. Trust me."

      Wildchild and Aurora walked along the shore…

      "What is it you wanted to talk to me about, Kyle?" Aurora asked, her
      arm entwined within his.

      "About us," Wildchild replied. "About our past… relationship."

      Aurora paled. "I am sorry for my reaction. I did not mean to attack
      you back then."

      Wildchild shook his head. "Don't worry about it, JM. You may not
      have been within your own, right mind."

      Aurora looked at Wildchild, aghast. "Are you suggesting one of my
      personalities surfaced and is to blame?"

      "No," Wildchild replied, matter-of-factly. "As a matter of fact,
      neither of us are to blame. The feelings we felt back then were not
      our own. They were… forced on us."

      "What do you mean?" Aurora asked, pausing.

      "Well, from my time with The Master, I learned from Mesmero and his
      daughter, Murmur, that they had manipulated our minds," Wildchild
      explained. "Seems that Mesmero learned of his daughter, Murmur, and
      found out she was a mutant, with the same powers as himself, though
      much more limited."

      He looked at the distant sky, then back to Aurora, "So he sought out
      some weaker minds to train her on."

      "What?" Aurora shouted. "Are you saying what I think you are?"

      Wildchild nodded. "Yes. They were in Canada, because Murmur's mother
      is from here. They knew of our history… with less than stable minds…
      and used us… to train Murmur to advance her powers."

      Aurora began to glow brightly. "I will kill them!" she shouted. "I
      will kill them all!"

      Wildchild shook his head. "Don't. It's done. They used us, they paid
      when we fought them and beat them to the ground."

      "That is not enough!" Aurora barked back.

      "Perhaps it's not," Wildchild shook his head. "But that's not up to
      us anymore. They are in the hands of the law."

      "Then we shall become the new law," Aurora sneered. "We shall judge
      them and execute what we see fit!"

      "And the moment you do," Wildchild remained remarkably calm, a sharp
      contrast to Aurora. "The moment you do, you're no better than them."

      The light faded and she shook her fists. "It's not right."

      "You're right," Wildchild agreed. "It's not. But then again, we will
      probably see them again."

      [Beneath Madison's home… ]

      Vindicator stood over Shaman's shoulder. "Have you managed to get
      any information about her?"

      Shaman shook his head. "I managed to retrieve some information from
      the Department H files that we were able to save. A lot of the data
      is corrupt or damaged beyond repair. But it looks here that there's
      not much known about our new guest, other than she goes by the name
      Lilli – and that's only because that's the name Department H gave
      her. Seems that she was some kind of transfer from Department M, but
      that data and information is lost."

      "It seems during her time with Department H, her superhuman powers
      caused a number of difficulties for her handlers. It's difficult to
      keep someone locked up when she can become intangible," Shaman said,
      looking over at Vindicator. Both of them looked at the girl who
      called herself "Ghost Girl" as she sat, cradling herself.

      "And apparently she ran away several times," Shaman
      continued. "During her unauthorized excursions, she had actually met
      Diamond Lil and Madison."

      "Right," Vindicator nodded. "And Diamond Lil said there's something
      familiar about her, but she couldn't place it."

      "There's a lot of mystery behind her origin," Shaman pressed a
      button on the keyboard. "And her ability to turn completely
      intangible and pass through solid objects, will make it difficult
      for us to keep her here if she wants to leave. Something interesting
      here," Shaman pointed at the screen, "it seems she's developed her
      powers somewhat during her time with Department H. She was able to
      use her own body, to create, what they describe as a `doorway' to
      allow others to pass through solid objects."

      Vindicator shook his head. "I just hope we can help her."

      "The best we can do is try," Shaman looked up. "The best we can do
      is try."

      [ Somewhere not too far… ]

      A female stood on a roof top, looking through a mask that covered
      her entire face. She looked from left to right, then jumped down,
      gliding almost upon the air.

      Landing on a flag pole, she spun around, and landed on the ground.
      She put her sword to her face, and smiled. "Alpha Flight, ready or
      not, here I come."

      TO BE CONTINUED!
      NEXT ISSUE: Alpha Flight's returning Nemesis!

      Special thanks to DMK's Alpha Flight website for giving me the
      resources I needed when I was tired of flipping through my endless
      pages of notes! Please feel free to visit DMK's website at:
      http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Labyrinth/5525/