Captain Marvel #33

  • ____
    Message 1 of 157 , Jan 1, 2005
      Emily King slipped on her newly-arrived 'Trick Ring.' Green
      electricity sparked from it, starting a chain reaction. Within
      moments, her entire form was enveloped by darkness, save her
      electric green-glowing eyes and ring.

      Elsewhere, an entity watched in delight as yet another of its
      sleepers began to awaken. Soon...

      Half Kree. Half Titan. A bastard child, born in a laboratory. Some
      even say he's destined for greatness. Destined to become something
      above the photonic energy manipulating powerhouse he is right now.
      He is Genis-Vell. He is Captain Marvel.

      Captain Marvel #33
      "Attack of the Wolf"

      ***********************
      Writer: JM
      Webmaster: Liam Gibbs
      Editor: Josh Greer
      Editor-in-Chief: Tawmis
      ***********************

      [Los Angeles]

      One young boy walked off the bus, alone. The only possessions he
      now had was either on him or in his bag. After receiving his
      package, there was only so much to do with it in his hometown. Now,
      he craved vengeance for his parents' murders...

      A disgruntled man followed the teen through the dark, near-deserted
      streets, licking his lips.

      The boy noticed and unzipped his bag, grabbing hold of the Plasma
      Shooter inside. Red electricity surged through his body,
      transforming him into the adult Mighty Centurion!

      The Centurion felt his attacker still closing in. Centurion turned
      to see a man with fangs... a vampire! The Mighty Centurion let
      loose with a full-force blast, incinerating the oncoming vampire.

      "There really are vampires in L.A.," the Mighty Centurion
      chuckled, "Cool."

      [Meanwhile]

      Bradley Longford tore open his package to find his so-called 'Weirdo
      Ring.' Right. He paid for the course and, naturally, passed it
      with flying colors, just to prove to all his childish friends once
      and for all that it was a scam and nothing more.

      Bradley slipped on the Weirdo Ring, and a yellow energy slashed out,
      slicing into every extremity. Bradley saw that either his room was
      now smaller or he was taller, his body brimming with pure power.

      Bradley, in his new, adult body, simply thought it and a third arm
      grew out of his side!

      [Elsewhere]

      Phyla landed before the Comex plant, wherein the 'Super-Hero Home
      Study Course' materials were manufactured. Supposedly. From
      outside, the plant looked perfectly normal.

      It was night, and Phyla hovered by the windows, peering in. Sure
      enough, the lights were all out, that she could see. Nobody home.
      Nobody to complain about violating their rights and trespassing if
      she looked around.

      [Meanwhile]

      "There is an intruder on the complex."

      "Let the wolf loose on them."

      [Comex plant]

      Phyla used her nega-bands as flashlights, making the details in the
      cramped workshops more easily visible. Thus far, she had seen
      nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing to empower a being like the
      Sub-tyrant.

      She thought she heard movement, but found nothing upon looking that
      direction. She returned to her search, oblivious to the hairy
      hunter stalking her.

      The female Captain Marvel heard a snort as the creature leapt
      through the air at her. She instinctively threw a light photonic
      shield between her and it. The creature landed against it, clawing
      at the energy, and, impossibly enough, succeeded in cutting through
      it.

      Phyla analyzed the creature. Shaggy brown hair. Long claws,
      canines. Generally human shape. "Werewolf, right?"

      Phyla dissipated the nearly-shattered shield, slamming a fist with
      super-speed into the werewolf's jaw, knocking him back against a
      crate, smashing it. "Never mind, it doesn't really matter. You
      confirm my suspicion of this place either way."

      The werewolf snarled, crouching in anger at the meal with power
      enough to knock him back. This time, he impressed her with his
      speed. Before she could react, he rushed past, shoving forward his
      nails into her arm just above her wrist. Phyla winced as the blood
      trickled.

      Not letting up for a second, the werewolf turned back around and
      jumped on her back, pinning her front to the floor, defenseless as
      he raised his arms. He salivated as he watched his helpless prey
      for a second before sinking into her...

      ...but she forced out a wave of energy, sending the werewolf off his
      feet. Phyla scrambled to the wall, lifting herself up on the way.
      She was visibly shaken, but felt only the minor cut on her arm.
      Nothing serious.

      Phyla held her better arm forward, a slight snarl on her
      face. "Don't give me any more reasons."

      The werewolf snarled, relishing in the fear he had caught in her
      scent.

      Phyla recognized it in his eyes and felt frustration at letting the
      man-beast get to her so. She fired, but the werewolf easily dodged
      to the side and sprinted forward.

      Phyla caught the wolf-man's face, keeping his teeth mere inches from
      her own skin. She stuck her elbows out forward, keeping his hands
      off her, almost. They struggled for minutes, each measuring up the
      sinew of the other and applying further power in a constant attempt
      to gain ground. For the werewolf, it was to secure his meal and
      revel in the tearing away of her flesh. For Phyla, it was to
      survive.

      The survival instinct and fear-produced epinephrine gave Phyla an
      extra boost. Her fingers grasped his neck, tight, and snapped the
      vertebrae out of place. The werewolf collapsed on the floor.

      His breathing was shallow. She knew he'd live. She contemplated
      killing him, even aiming her powered-up fist... but no. Killing out
      of fear would only give the beast a total, permanent victory over
      her. She wouldn't let him have that.

      [Meanwhile]

      Timmy Dicketts joyously opened his box. Finally! He couldn't wait
      to --

      His mother, whom he hadn't known to be in the room until now,
      grasped the tool in the package simultaneous to her son. White
      energy snaked through them both as they lifted the scythe into the
      stale air.

      When the white electricity was done, one lone being stood, an adult
      male... who was also female.

      "Timmy," the being cried out, "you've got some 'splaining to do!
      Yes, m'ma..."

      [Comex plant]

      Phyla stayed in the room, unwilling to take her eyes off the fallen
      werewolf. She didn't, after all, want to explore the rest of the
      building while he recovered, only to be attacked by surprise once
      more...

      The battle over, Phyla felt... empty. Drained, both physically and
      mentally. Her arm had stopped bleeding, but she'd probably need a
      rabies shot. Now, she simply stood there, practically catatonic,
      too weak to move much.

      "This place is none of your concern," a voice spoke over the
      intercom, "we detect that you are of extra-terrestrial origin. We
      want only this world, Earth. Return to your home and you shall be
      spared."

      "This is my home now," Phyla replied, "and the rest of us don't want
      whatever you're peddling."

      "You have no idea what you're playing at, child. This is a very
      dangerous --"

      "Bye now." Phyla blasted the intercom's speaker in the room,
      destroying it and silencing the voice in the room. It still echoed
      from the other, empty rooms.

      "Then I have no choice. If the dog didn't persuade you..."

      "No zombies," Phyla requested, "I've had more than my fill of
      zombies lately..."

      "Deal."

      Five men marched into the room from an unknown previous location.
      They surrounded the wounded Captain Marvel. They looked normal, at
      least... until she saw fangs.

      "Vampires. This day just keeps on getting better and better..."

      [Meanwhile]

      Robbie Leck slept in lockup until a presence came to him. "Huh?"

      "The time... is now."

      Blue energy surged through Robbie, transforming him once more. In
      truth, after the initial powering-up, the power had remained within,
      lying dormant. Waiting to be triggered.

      The Sub-tyrant rose once more. But this time, a red haze covered
      his eyes. His mind was blank, no longer his own. He now served an
      entirely different master.

      [To be continued...]
      Message 157 of 157 , May 7, 2010
        Reno, Nevada.

        On the street after dark, Marlo Jones screamed as the paramedics rushed to strap Rick Jones into his gurney and put him into the back of the ambulance. He had been torn wide open by the Slashers. (1)

        Her thoughts swam, incoherently, as she covered her face with her hands and kept watching him, hoping that somehow he would instantaneously recover as though there was nothing wrong, no gaping wounds in his abdomen.

        She went with them to the hospital, not listening to a single word anyone said. Rick remained unconscious, mumbling occasionally, meaningless phrases.

        Finally, they arrived at the hospital, and Marlo had to wait. Rick was rushed into an operating room and that was that.

        While she sat there, helpless, the Magistrate watched, invisible, the light bending around his body effortlessly. He derived no joy in being here, but it was his duty. Not only because this man had been his father's partner in defending the universe, once upon a time, but because it was necessary in his role as the Magistrate for him to be here today.

        This was the day that Rick Jones was to die.

        The Magistrate entered the operating room and froze time. The doctors and nurses stood stuck in place, Rick stuck between feeble heart beats, near the end of his song.

        Shining with bright light, Genis-Vell gently, quietly removed his golden nega-bands from his wrists, one at a time. He clasped them onto the dying sidekick's wrists, clicking them into place and soldering them, melding them to his genetic sequence.

        They were bonded to him now, as they had been before.

        The photonic energy illuminated the entire room as the bands changed Rick as much as he changed them, charging his body with an energy that would add to his natural physical healing properties just enough for him to make it through.

        He would live, and the timestream was forever altered, irrevocably, in that moment. Genis hoped his father would have approved and would not have condemned him for his foolish act.

        In saving Rick Jones's life, he had also damned him.

        Half Kree. Half Titan. A bastard child, born in a laboratory. Some even say he's destined for greatness. Destined to become something above the photonic energy manipulating powerhouse he is right now. He is Genis-Vell. He is Captain Marvel.

        Captain Marvel #88
        "The Sentence"
        April 2010
        *************************
        *************************

        "Betty!"

        "I came as soon as I could," Betty Banner said, hugging Marlo in the waiting room, "how is he?"

        "They haven't told me anything yet," Marlo said.

        "He will pull through," the Magistrate said, revealing his presence to them, blinding them with his white light which emanated from every cell of his body. It masked him, so that they would not know he was Genis-Vell, the former Captain Marvel.

        "Ah no, not again," Marlo said, "more cosmic confusion, please, just leave us alone…"

        "Richard Millhouse Jones would not survive if I had not interfered," the Magistrate revealed, "I apologize for my intrusion into your personal lives, but I found it necessary this once. I am the Magistrate.

        "Your husband will be healed through the molecular process of bonding to the nega-bands; in return, he will heal the mind and soul of another who is quite ill."

        "Who is that?"

        "Genis-Vell," the Magistrate said, not bothering to explain that the other body the bands were bonded to was an alternate reality version of himself who went by the codename of Captain Photon and whom he had driven crazy with insane visions provided by Entropy. (2) "He is also bonded to the bands."

        "Oh no," Marlo said, covering her face in her hand, "Rick told me about this…"

        "You're going to punish him for being stabbed open by some super-villains?" Betty said, indignant, poking her finger into the blindingly bright man's chest, "I'm going to tell you what you're going to do, you're going to—"

        "I appreciate your concern," the Magistrate said, "but it has been done. It cannot be undone."

        "I'll find some way to undo it," Betty said, "then I'll sic my husband on you."

        The Magistrate disappeared in a final flash of light, having run out of words to say to the women.

        [The next morning.]

        `Morning, sunshine. Ready to eat some eyeballs?'

        "Huh?" Rick awoke with a start, and realized immediately he was not in his bed. Before freaking out, he accessed the situation, as Captain America had taught him to do. He realized he was in a hospital room and breathed a sigh of relief as he felt at the blanket covering him.

        `Clap those wrists together and let's have some fun…'

        Rick saw horrifying images in his mind and slammed his eyes shut. The room was still dark and yet the images were as though they were there, right before his eyes, vivid.

        Marlo snored.

        "Mar," Rick said, getting out of the bed and shaking her awake.

        "Whuzzat?"

        He went to the door and eventually found the light switch. "What's going on, hon?"

        He looked down at his hands and saw the shining nega-bands on his wrists. "Aw, no!"

        `That's right, sugarplum. It's just you and me in here. Let me out and I'll tear your woman apart and let you watch. There's nothing I won't do when I get back into your world…'

        "Then I'll never let you out, monster," Rick promised.

        [One week later.]

        "Please, help him," Marlo said, "he hasn't shaved, showered, he hasn't slept, his wounds aren't healing right, I don't know what to do…"

        "I'll have a look at him," Doc Samson promised as Marlo closed the door behind him. "Mind if I have a private session with him?"

        "Of course, go ahead," Marlo said, "I'll see if the tea is ready…"

        Doc Samson stepped into the bedroom. He was now no longer superhuman, his long ponytail brown, his frame chunky rather than beefy. He wore a suit and glasses.

        The man he saw before him he hardly recognized as Rick Jones. The man was in his underclothes, stank, and had tied his hands to ropes leading to opposite ends of the room, one tied to the filing cabinet in the corner and the other to his desk.

        "Cut it off cut it off cut it off," Rick begged the doctor, "cut off one of my hands either of them then he can't use me can't make me bang them together can't make me bring him back"

        "I won't do that," Doc Samson said, "Marlo told me about your situation. I understand he constantly bombards you with violent imagery, mostly of what he'll do to your wife and friends if he trades places with you. But you know that won't happen, don't you?"

        "Do you do you do you?" Rick said, panting, sweating, eyes shifting wildly about the room before coming back to Samson and laughing. "You aren't even green anymore! Bruce is dead dead and gone and he thought I'd be strong enough to heal him but I'm not he's too strong constant almost clapped my hands together the first night home almost brought him here almost killed Marlo almost killed everyone killed the world"

        "I'm going to give you a tranquilizer, Rick," Doc Samson said, "it'll calm you down and let you get some sleep. I promise, I will see to it that he never sets foot in this world. Whatever it takes. As soon as I leave this room, I'm calling in the Avengers."

        "Avengers Defenders Champions X-Men doesn't matter doesn't matter," Rick said and began to laugh again, madly. "We're already dead."

        [To be continued…]

        FOOTNOTES:
        1. See issue #82.
        2. See Daniel Gordon Presents #77.