Alternative mouse?

  • Steven Marzuola
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 10, 2008
      I am starting to feel uncomfortable (one step short of "pain") in my
      right wrist, and I'm convinced it's because of my mouse. It's just a
      regular mouse, used on maybe 90% of the computers in the world.
      Whenever I'm finished moving the mouse and pick up my right hand, my
      first response is to roll my wrist until my palm is facing upward?

      Does anyone here have any experience with an alternative mouse? The
      ones that I'm looking at include:

      Wow-pen Eco

      Wow-pen Joy (just out)

      Evoluent Vertical Mouse

      Microsoft Natural mouse

      Suggestions?

      Steven
    • Thomas Levine
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 10, 2008
        The standard mouse is absolutely horrible, worse than the standard keyboard.
        The best thing in terms of usability and posture as far as I know is
        graphics tablets, and the Wow-pen is quite close to those. It may actually
        be better for most pointing. I want to try it now.

        Thomas Levine!

        On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Steven Marzuola <mygroups@...>
        wrote:

        > I am starting to feel uncomfortable (one step short of "pain") in my
        > right wrist, and I'm convinced it's because of my mouse. It's just a
        > regular mouse, used on maybe 90% of the computers in the world.
        > Whenever I'm finished moving the mouse and pick up my right hand, my
        > first response is to roll my wrist until my palm is facing upward?
        >
        > Does anyone here have any experience with an alternative mouse? The
        > ones that I'm looking at include:
        >
        > Wow-pen Eco
        >
        > Wow-pen Joy (just out)
        >
        > Evoluent Vertical Mouse
        >
        > Microsoft Natural mouse
        >
        > Suggestions?
        >
        > Steven

      • Chuck Esterbrook
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 10, 2008
          On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Steven Marzuola <mygroups@...> wrote:
          > I am starting to feel uncomfortable (one step short of "pain") in my
          > right wrist, and I'm convinced it's because of my mouse. It's just a
          > regular mouse, used on maybe 90% of the computers in the world.
          > Whenever I'm finished moving the mouse and pick up my right hand, my
          > first response is to roll my wrist until my palm is facing upward?
          >
          > Does anyone here have any experience with an alternative mouse? The
          > ones that I'm looking at include:
          > Suggestions?
          >
          > Steven

          I moved my mouse to the left side. It was awkward since I'm right
          handed, but right sided discomfort has disappeared and now my left
          hand is finally earning its keep. After several months, it's not so
          awkward anymore.

          I also use the not-so-wide Typematrix keyboard so that I don't have to
          move my hand very far to get to the mouse.

          -Chuck
          --
          http://cobra-language.com/
        • Marco Amans
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 10, 2008
            Steven Marzuola schrieb:

            > Does anyone here have any experience with an alternative mouse? The
            > ones that I'm looking at include:

            You have probably already thought of that, but the best thing is not to
            use the mouse at all if possible.

            A few Autohotkey macros for example can help a lot, or take the habit of
            pressing the menu key.

            There is even an autohotkey macro to emulate a mouse, but I haven’t
            tried it yet.
          • Accessys@smart.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 10, 2008
              trackball!
              the bigger the ball the better.

              mine is under my keyboard, with the keyboard raised to a more neutral
              level.

              Bob

              On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Steven Marzuola wrote:

              > I am starting to feel uncomfortable (one step short of "pain") in my
              > right wrist, and I'm convinced it's because of my mouse. It's just a
              > regular mouse, used on maybe 90% of the computers in the world.
              > Whenever I'm finished moving the mouse and pick up my right hand, my
              > first response is to roll my wrist until my palm is facing upward?
              >
              > Does anyone here have any experience with an alternative mouse? The
              > ones that I'm looking at include:
              >
              > Wow-pen Eco
              >
              > Wow-pen Joy (just out)
              >
              > Evoluent Vertical Mouse
              >
              > Microsoft Natural mouse
              >
              > Suggestions?
              >
              > Steven

              -
              end
              occasionally a true patriot must defend his country from its' government
              safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety", Benjamin Franklin
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              ASCII Ribbon Campaign. . . . . . . . . . . . accessBob
              .NO HTML/PDF/RTF/MIME in e-mail. . . . . . . accessys@...
              .NO MSWord docs in e-mail . . . .. . . . . . Access Systems, engineers
              .NO attachments in e-mail, .*LINUX powered*. access is a civil right
              privileged. They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named
            • Edmund Ng
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 10, 2008
                Personally, I find trackballs to be more comfortable, most of the time.
                Unfortunately, my favorite trackball (MS Trackball Explorer) is not made
                anymore. As a close second, I would get the Logitech Cordless Trackman
                Optical, which is still available. Both of these trackballs are
                finger-controlled, not thumb-controlled. And I love how the LMB and RMB are
                thumb-buttons.

                wrote:

                > I am starting to feel uncomfortable (one step short of "pain") in my
                > right wrist, and I'm convinced it's because of my mouse. It's just a
                > regular mouse, used on maybe 90% of the computers in the world.
                > Whenever I'm finished moving the mouse and pick up my right hand, my
                > first response is to roll my wrist until my palm is facing upward?
                >
                > Does anyone here have any experience with an alternative mouse?

                --
                Edmund C. Ng
                nomaded@...

                "Old joke about the optimist and the pessimist:
                The pessimist says, 'Everything is terrible. It can't get any worse.'
                The optimist says, 'Oh, yes it can.'"

              • Rhodes, Kate
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 10, 2008
                  I had similar issues and switched to the
                  microsoft trackball optical
                  http://www.microsoft.com/PRODUCTS/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=10426173-9aba-45eb-b7ce-af9ef9724d3d&type=ovr
                  and haven't regretted it at all. Logitech also makes a similar product
                  but it's harder to find.

                  The advantage to this is that you don't move your hand AT ALL. you
                  just wiggle your thumb. It takes about an hour to get used to, and
                  anyone trying to use your computer will have a hard time of it, but
                  I've been using this, or a logitech version for .... geez since before
                  Apple switched away from ADB connectors and went to USB. Maybe ten
                  years now?

                  The only things they're not good at is pixel precise movements (moving
                  up / over exactly one pixel) or first person shooters if you're a
                  hardcore gamer.

                  -Kate

                  On Jul 10, 2008, at 11:34 AM, Steven Marzuola wrote:

                  > I am starting to feel uncomfortable (one step short of "pain") in my
                  > right wrist, and I'm convinced it's because of my mouse. It's just a
                  > regular mouse, used on maybe 90% of the computers in the world.
                  > Whenever I'm finished moving the mouse and pick up my right hand, my
                  > first response is to roll my wrist until my palm is facing upward?
                  >
                  > Does anyone here have any experience with an alternative mouse? The
                  > ones that I'm looking at include:
                  >
                  > Wow-pen Eco
                  >
                  > Wow-pen Joy (just out)
                  >
                  > Evoluent Vertical Mouse
                  >
                  > Microsoft Natural mouse
                  >
                  > Suggestions?
                  >
                  > Steven

                  > ! Groups Links

                • dmwhetstone
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 11, 2008
                    I absolutely LOVE my Evoluent Vertical Mouse 3. I found it instantly more comfortable than a
                    regular mouse. I've also tried the Zero Tension Mouse http://www.zerotensionmouse.com/.
                    I found that one to be much more difficult to get used to, and also seems to be built with
                    cheaper materials (I really didn't like the buttons, and the plastic felt cheap in the hand). But
                    depending on your specific anatomy/problems, you may also want to consider it.
                  • pbrun01
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 12, 2008
                      Aww, who needs all that new-agey ergonomics stuff? You need an olde-
                      skool heavy-duty mouse with serious craftsmanship, like mine:

                      http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-3/1301854/IBMmouse.JPG

                      --- In altkeyboards@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Marzuola" <mygroups@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I am starting to feel uncomfortable (one step short of "pain") in my
                      > right wrist, and I'm convinced it's because of my mouse. It's just
                      > regular mouse, used on maybe 90% of the computers in the world.
                      > Whenever I'm finished moving the mouse and pick up my right hand, my
                      > first response is to roll my wrist until my palm is facing upward?
                      >
                      > Does anyone here have any experience with an alternative mouse? The
                      > ones that I'm looking at include:
                      >
                      > Wow-pen Eco
                      >
                      > Wow-pen Joy (just out)
                      >
                      > Evoluent Vertical Mouse
                      >
                      > Microsoft Natural mouse
                      >
                      > Suggestions?
                      >
                      > Steven

                    • Chuck Esterbrook
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 13, 2008
                        Wow, blast from the past!

                        You still rolling with the PS/2 Model 50Z?

                        -Chuck

                        On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 11:12 PM, pbrun01 <pbrun01@...> wrote:
                        > Aww, who needs all that new-agey ergonomics stuff? You need an olde-
                        > skool heavy-duty mouse with serious craftsmanship, like mine:
                        >
                        > http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-3/1301854/IBMmouse.JPG
                        >
                        > --- In altkeyboards@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Marzuola" <mygroups@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >

                        >> I am starting to feel uncomfortable (one step short of "pain") in my
                        >> right wrist, and I'm convinced it's because of my mouse. It's just
                        >> regular mouse, used on maybe 90% of the computers in the world.
                        >> Whenever I'm finished moving the mouse and pick up my right hand, my
                        >> first response is to roll my wrist until my palm is facing upward?
                        >>
                        >> Does anyone here have any experience with an alternative mouse? The
                        >> ones that I'm looking at include:
                        >>
                        >> Wow-pen Eco
                        >>
                        >> Wow-pen Joy (just out)
                        >>
                        >> Evoluent Vertical Mouse
                        >>
                        >> Microsoft Natural mouse
                        >>
                        >> Suggestions?
                        >>
                        >> Steven

                      • Steven Marzuola
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 13, 2008
                          > You have probably already thought of that, but the best thing
                          > is not to use the mouse at all if possible.
                          >
                          > A few Autohotkey macros for example can help a lot, or take the
                          > habit of pressing the menu key.
                          >
                          > There is even an autohotkey macro to emulate a mouse, but I haven't
                          > tried it yet.

                          I use the menu key and almost every keyboard shortcut I can find, all
                          the time. Unfortunately some of the tasks in some of the software I
                          use either can't be done without a mouse or it takes many times.

                          For example, Word 2007 it's difficult to add words to custom
                          spellchecking dictionaries. I work as a translator, and I keep a
                          Custom dictionary for words that are always correct, such as names and
                          titles; English.dic for English only, and Spanish.dic for Spanish
                          only. In older versions this could all be done without a mouse, but
                          not in Word 2007.

                          Can you point me to the AutoHotKey mouse emulator?

                          Steven
                        • pbrun01
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
                            No, I have a modern Hewlett-Packard desktop computer. I got the mouse
                            for a couple dollars at a local shop that sells used computer gear.
                            It's pretty vintage, isn't it? Curiously, it was manufactured in Japan,
                            but really it's quite heavy and well-made. This thing will last forever
                            with a minimum of attention. I use it from time to time just for the
                            novelty factor, but the lack of a scroll-wheel is hard to put up with.
                            -Peter

                            --- In altkeyboards@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Esterbrook"
                            <Chuck.Esterbrook@...> wrote:

                            > Wow, blast from the past!
                            >
                            > You still rolling with the PS/2 Model 50Z?
                            >
                            > -Chuck

                          • Marco Amans
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 16, 2008
                              Steven Marzuola schrieb:

                              > Can you point me to the AutoHotKey mouse emulator?

                              http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/scripts/NumpadMouse.htm

                              As I said, I haven’t tried it, and I don’t know how useful it is in
                              practice.
                            • Dragomir T
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 17, 2008
                                I am currently using a tablet as a substitute but do not expect too
                                much from it. It does help, but you'd need to use it simultanously
                                with the mouse - the benefit is from shifting the tension between
                                different muscles. The tablet on its own is not ergonomic.
                              • jmac81955
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 17, 2008
                                  I am the owner of an Ergonomic Company.
                                  I can send you a Wow Pen Eco to evaluate.
                                  Send me your address via email, and I will send you one.

                                  <mygroups@...> wrote:

                                  > I am starting to feel uncomfortable (one step short of "pain") in
                                  my
                                  > right wrist, and I'm convinced it's because of my mouse. It's
                                  just a
                                  > regular mouse, used on maybe 90% of the computers in the world.
                                  > Whenever I'm finished moving the mouse and pick up my right hand,
                                  my
                                  > first response is to roll my wrist until my palm is facing upward?
                                  >
                                  > Does anyone here have any experience with an alternative mouse? The
                                  > ones that I'm looking at include:
                                  >
                                  > Wow-pen Eco
                                  >
                                  > Wow-pen Joy (just out)
                                  >
                                  > Evoluent Vertical Mouse
                                  >
                                  > Microsoft Natural mouse
                                  >
                                  > Suggestions?
                                  >
                                  > Steven

                                • Steven Marzuola
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 10, 2008
                                    I just found a Wow-Pen Joy online. I thought it was the five button
                                    model, but it only has three, including the scroll wheel. That was a
                                    little disappointing, but not a deal killer.

                                    Overall it's not bad. It does what I hoped, which was to keep my palm
                                    at a slight angle and not parallel to the table surface. If I was
                                    going to tinker with it, I would add a small extension, maybe one or
                                    two inches, to make it support my wrist at that same angle.

                                    My fingers are long, and I think I might prefer a slightly bigger
                                    model, only because I have to bend my index finger just a bit to reach
                                    the scroll wheel.

                                    One unexpected little problem is that when I'm transitioning my right
                                    hand from the keyboard, I tend to bump the Joy. It is about three
                                    inches (75 mm) high, and I have knocked it off the table at least a
                                    half-dozen times this week.

                                    Also, for some reason it's hard to click quickly. I don't notice it
                                    during regular work, only when I'm playing games (mostly solitaire,
                                    Free Cell, and Sudoku.). So I'm guessing that serious gamers won't be
                                    impressed.

                                    Still, the angled position is a nice change of pace from the standard
                                    mouse I use all day at the office. I recommend it.

                                    Steven