Lunar Eclips!!

  • Norman Thompson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2007
      Total lunar eclipse expected Saturday Fri Mar 2, 10:48 AM ET

      LONDON - The moon will turn shades of amber and crimson Saturday
      night as it passes behind the Earth's shadow in the first total
      lunar eclipse in three years.

      The eclipse will be at least partly visible from Asia to the
      Americas, although those in Europe, Africa and the Middle East will
      have the best view.

      Lunar eclipses occur when Earth passes between the sun and the moon,
      blocking the sun's light. The event is rare because the moon spends
      most of its time either above or below the plane of Earth's orbit.

      Although it will pass completely under Earth's shadow, light from
      the sun will still reach the moon after being refracted through
      Earth's atmosphere, giving the moon an eerie dark reddish tinge.

      "It's not an event that has any scientific value, but it's something
      everybody can enjoy," said Robert Massey of the Royal Astronomical
      Society.

      Earth's shadow will begin moving across the moon at 3:18 p.m. EST
      Saturday, with the total eclipse occurring at 5:44 p.m. EST and
      lasting more than an hour.

      Observers in eastern North America and South America will find the
      moon already partially or totally eclipsed by the time it rises over
      the horizon Saturday evening.

      Alaska, eastern Australia and New Zealand will miss the show
      altogether.

      The next total lunar eclipse will occur Aug. 28.
    • Lauralee
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2007
        yeah - I hung out all night but it was too cloudy here to see it!
        ;(
        peace

        --- In alternatepaths@yahoogroups.com, "Norman Thompson"