Re: Rails de Napoleon

  • richard_roper
    Message 1 of 508 , Aug 6, 2000
      Can I suggest a basis for this scenario, clearly
      Napoleon has to win the war. Napoleon still rules with his
      wife, Marie Louise as co-empress (she was in our time
      line quite a capable administrator of her Duchy of
      Palma, they gave her, for many years.<br>Napoleon II,
      their son, is about to come of age.<br>French industry
      was in fact slightly more advanced than the British
      in the 1780's, but lacked the mony and markets !
      Equally France wanted to build a fleet of ironclads in
      1842, but the designer was told the the iron was too
      expensive. Napoleon would have needed railways to unite his
      Empire. In reality they were possible for many years but
      in Britain the landowners blocked the building of
      main lines for a decade. many of the American lines in
      fact predate the British. So you have no problem in
      someone speading up the technology.<br>Sea bathing had
      become fashionable in Regency Britain.<br>I take it you
      are broadly basing this on 2A Connecticutt Yankee at
      King Arthur's Court".<br>So how could he win the war;
      there were several possibilities, how about this
      one.<br>1809 - Talleyrand is sent by Napoleon to do the deal
      with Mettenich, as he urged, and forn a raprochement
      with the Austrian Emperor (Marie Louise was his eldest
      daughter). Metternich then keeps the Russians sweet, using
      his influence, and the Prussians can easily be kept
      in line.<br>Napoleon, as was feared, goes pesonally
      to Spain to run the Campaign and Wellington is
      forced to evacuate from Lisbon.<br>The "Continental
      System" holds intact and as Napoleon doesn't need the
      money, so doesn't make the mistake of exporting lots of
      wheat to Britain in 1810/11.<br>The result are
      revolutionary disturbances in the British industrial districts
      in 1812, just at the time the Brits ate picking on
      the Americans, the cotton mills stand idle and the
      British banking system collapses<br>The above scenario
      did actually concentrate the minds greatly of the
      British policy- makers, Canning and Castlereagh, and they
      feared it greatly.<br>They have to make peace, mediated
      by the Americans, and Napoleon completes his naval
      buiding plans.
    • texasjim2005
      Message 508 of 508 , May 25 5:49 PM
        First of all, had the Republic endured rather than be
        replaced by three hundred years of military dictatorships
        technological progress in the Mediterranean would have
        been greater as there would have been greater diversity
        and competition between and within the world powers for
        technological edges over their competitors. It isn't any
        accident that Athenian democracy produced one of the great
        scientific revolutions in history or that the Roman Republic
        went from having no navy at all to becoming the worlds greatest
        seapower during its Republican period. Freedom in a society
        may create social instability, which is why dictatorships spend
        so much of their nations resources supressing it, but it also
        makes societies richer and more technologically advanced.

        Secondly, the Parthian Empire would be better able to expand
        West without running into Roman Legions and without being
        preoccupied with the East, Rome might have chosen to expand further
        Northward up into Germany absorbing more Frankish and Germanic tribes
        into the Latin culture before the barbarian migrations of the dark
        ages when the Huns started pushing all the other barbarian tribes
        West. That might have possibly stopped the barbarian hordes from
        destroying Rome and actually prevented the Dark Ages.

        So far as Anthony and Cleopatra, had Anthony not made an incredible
        amount of enemies by nailing the Consul Cicero's head to the Senate
        Podium during the civil war he started, the Senate might have been
        content to let him live to a ripe old age in Egypt with Cleopatra,
        and perhaps one of their granddaughters might have fallen in love with
        a nice Jewish philospher with a family living in a somewhat more free
        spirited Alexandria than it was under Augustus and Tiberius.

        -Jim in Texas