What an interesting club!

  • Danna1210
    Message 1 of 508 , Mar 5, 2000
      I liked your theories on the Revolutionary War.
      What are your views on the Civil War? I feel that if
      the South would have won, the Confederacy would have
      become almost like a third world country. Well, not as
      bad, but very poor because they didn't have the
      industry of the North. What do you think?
    • texasjim2005
      Message 508 of 508 , May 25, 2005
        First of all, had the Republic endured rather than be
        replaced by three hundred years of military dictatorships
        technological progress in the Mediterranean would have
        been greater as there would have been greater diversity
        and competition between and within the world powers for
        technological edges over their competitors. It isn't any
        accident that Athenian democracy produced one of the great
        scientific revolutions in history or that the Roman Republic
        went from having no navy at all to becoming the worlds greatest
        seapower during its Republican period. Freedom in a society
        may create social instability, which is why dictatorships spend
        so much of their nations resources supressing it, but it also
        makes societies richer and more technologically advanced.

        Secondly, the Parthian Empire would be better able to expand
        West without running into Roman Legions and without being
        preoccupied with the East, Rome might have chosen to expand further
        Northward up into Germany absorbing more Frankish and Germanic tribes
        into the Latin culture before the barbarian migrations of the dark
        ages when the Huns started pushing all the other barbarian tribes
        West. That might have possibly stopped the barbarian hordes from
        destroying Rome and actually prevented the Dark Ages.

        So far as Anthony and Cleopatra, had Anthony not made an incredible
        amount of enemies by nailing the Consul Cicero's head to the Senate
        Podium during the civil war he started, the Senate might have been
        content to let him live to a ripe old age in Egypt with Cleopatra,
        and perhaps one of their granddaughters might have fallen in love with
        a nice Jewish philospher with a family living in a somewhat more free
        spirited Alexandria than it was under Augustus and Tiberius.

        -Jim in Texas