outliers and discontinuities.

  • jwmeritt
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2005
      When you generate plots, be they cycles or trends, of historic
      information there is the 'overall pattern' from which generic rules are
      often derived. But there are almost always outliers which fall well
      outside the regular pattern of the bulk of the data and do not fit
      whatever 'rule' is created to explain/predict the bulk of the
      information (Yes, I know this is elementart data analysis - I'm getting
      somewhere). There are also discontinuities in which some trend or
      cycle is going along and then, for some either ascribed or unknown
      reason, procedes with a new/different trend or cycle.

      What outliers or discontinuities have YOU noticed which, in the long
      run or with knowing hindsight, are interesting/relevant and, in the
      spirit of this group, what if that happenstance DIDN'T occur?

      Jim