Re: Heres a strange one

  • paseo203
    Message 1 of 508 , Apr 4, 2000
      well as far as the civil war goes, that depends
      on who the south uses as slaves. There are a variety
      of possibilites that the original colonist could
      have used, such as native americans, or even,
      surprisingly irish and/or scottish slaves. Being that Great
      Britain was the last country to have control over the
      continnetal US before the Revolutionary war, if slaves from
      Africa were not used, slaves from the two neighboring
      nations may have been. They could have used Asians, or
      even just used indentured servants. But they would
      have to have some kind of slaves for the south to
      work. If they were white slaves than i feel the civil
      war may not have taken place. If the slaves were
      white theyd be more like servants, with limited
      freedom, and the culture of the north and south wouldnt be
      so different. So a civil war may not have happend.
      As far as the society that liferune described, i
      doubt it would be that much better. Every country must
      have a working class, the only difference would be
      that the amount Americans of African ansectory would
      be like 4% of the population, if that, the working
      class that would exist today would be comprised of
      mostly whites, hispanics, and other various recent
      immigrants. We would still have crime, poverty, and education
      would stll be the same.
    • texasjim2005
      Message 508 of 508 , May 25 5:49 PM
        First of all, had the Republic endured rather than be
        replaced by three hundred years of military dictatorships
        technological progress in the Mediterranean would have
        been greater as there would have been greater diversity
        and competition between and within the world powers for
        technological edges over their competitors. It isn't any
        accident that Athenian democracy produced one of the great
        scientific revolutions in history or that the Roman Republic
        went from having no navy at all to becoming the worlds greatest
        seapower during its Republican period. Freedom in a society
        may create social instability, which is why dictatorships spend
        so much of their nations resources supressing it, but it also
        makes societies richer and more technologically advanced.

        Secondly, the Parthian Empire would be better able to expand
        West without running into Roman Legions and without being
        preoccupied with the East, Rome might have chosen to expand further
        Northward up into Germany absorbing more Frankish and Germanic tribes
        into the Latin culture before the barbarian migrations of the dark
        ages when the Huns started pushing all the other barbarian tribes
        West. That might have possibly stopped the barbarian hordes from
        destroying Rome and actually prevented the Dark Ages.

        So far as Anthony and Cleopatra, had Anthony not made an incredible
        amount of enemies by nailing the Consul Cicero's head to the Senate
        Podium during the civil war he started, the Senate might have been
        content to let him live to a ripe old age in Egypt with Cleopatra,
        and perhaps one of their granddaughters might have fallen in love with
        a nice Jewish philospher with a family living in a somewhat more free
        spirited Alexandria than it was under Augustus and Tiberius.

        -Jim in Texas