Re: (unknown)

  • Ruud Paulusse
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 13, 2000
      Hello

      Eh, this is the 'asshole' himself. Pitty I only now look a these
      messages when the 'discussion' I started has come to an end allready.
      So just for the record, my opinion on trading bootlegs:

      1. Bootlegs are only of interest to the fan; any other would return a
      CD with this kind of sound quality to the store immediately.
      2. Phill Collins said in an interview in 1980 (I have boot to prove
      it...) that he approves since its only fans copying and distributing
      them in their own small circle.
      3. If it would be that many that trade/buy boots, which I doubt, the
      artist would be stupid not to enter that market himself and make a
      buck (like Frank Zappa).
      4. I was introduced by the fab prog rock band Magellan through a CDR
      and they can count me to their most loyal paying fans till the end of
      days.
      5. I at least have had 3 well known artists that came to my site and
      asked for a CDR on which they played... I was glad to be of service.
      6. Fuck you yourself, you Jerry bastard.

      Thanks to all for their support.

      Ruud

      --- In alternate-view@egroups.com, kara <kara@h...> wrote:
      > Hey,
      > what about kicking this asshole out of this group?
      > Copy kills music!
      > If some do so, fuck them. But if somebody tries to trade or swap
      them and
      > advertises it, get him arrested!!!
      >
      > Reactions, please!
      > Ralf Koch, Germany
      >
      > Ruud Paulusse schrieb:
      >
      > > Hello everybody,
      > >
      > > As I am new to this group I wouldn't know if you are interested in
      > > trading (CDR) bootlegs of various Prog rock bands (Yes, Jon
      Anderson,
      > > U.K, Pallas, IQ, Genesis etc.). If so please visit my web site
      for a
      > > full list and trade info:
      >
      > > http://www.fuck/Papa.html
      > >
      > > Greetings,
      > >
      > > Ruud

    • Frank Blades
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 13, 2000
        CHILDREN, BEHAVE!!!!!

        This discussion group was set up so that like-minded people can have
        rational and productive debate. I have seen various (often heated!)
        discussion about the prog and cons of bootlegs and piracy. Usually people
        confuse one with the other. Bootlegs are generally regarded as being Good
        (although personally I find they are a waste of time), piracy is pretty
        unanimously regarded as being Bad (except in some counties where it appears
        to be the norm. I would still say it is Bad, but what can you do!).

        Basically if you are going to rip off the artist by unauthorised copying of
        their recorded material - you are, in a small way, killing off the music you
        love. They are losing their royalties and if everyone did it - there would
        be no bands and no music. (Pirated copies of the Spice Girls logically
        should be seen as a Good Thing for humanity - but do you really want a Spice
        girl's album anyway!!!!). In saying that, I know that there is some piracy
        of old and now unavailable Pallas tracks going on on the Pallas mailing
        list. And that has been authorised by at least three members of the band who
        are on the list. So, I guess we shouldn't jump to conclusions too fast.

        Bootlegs are more complex. Some bands love them, other don't. Personally I
        go to a concert to see and experience the live vibe. Most of the bootlegs I
        have heard are poor quality, lacking the energy of the performance and come
        complete with the irritating guy chatting to his mate next to the
        bootlegger! If you want bootlegs - then that's up to you. Personally I don't
        see them as replacement for 'proper' albums and aren't going to stop people
        wanting the buy the studio version.

        That's my view anyway.

        As for irrational and jingoistic insults between fellow progsters - that is
        also a Bad Thing. If you disagree with what people are saying - try and put
        your case over in an inoffensive way. I'm English - we invented this
        language (well, except for the bits we stole off the Greeks and the Italians
        and the Germans and the French...) - and trust me - we can be much, much
        more irrational and jingoistic than any of you bloody foreigners (grin).

        But this group is for the promotion of prog - so please, let's keep it
        clean. And Ruud and Ralph - please, shake hands and be friends again!!!!!

        All the best

        Frank

        --
        Frank Blades
        Alternate View

        http://prog.rockhaven.co.uk
        Alternate View
        'the UK progressive rock website'

      • organ
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 14, 2000
          hEY, Prog bands out there, any of you got any MP3s up a MP3.COM, I'm
          doing some work with Rocksound magazine over here in the UK and one of
          the things is a tie in column with MP3.COM so lets sneak some prog in
          there and save them all from Slipknot - any of you got anything up there
          or any one else know about any good bands - I found a few already but
          hey, the more the better.

          Sean Worrall

          www.organart.com - the home of ORGAN ON-LINE and ORG RECORDS
        • Kenneth Magnusson
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 14, 2000
            Yepp,

            The Moor have a page at mp3.com

            http://www.mp3.com/TheMoor

            We have Nik Turner of Hawkwind in the band, I would recommend Suck,
            Soon or Talk for any Proghead.

            Kenneth

            >hEY, Prog bands out there, any of you got any MP3s up a MP3.COM, I'm
            >doing some work with Rocksound magazine over here in the UK and one of
            >the things is a tie in column with MP3.COM so lets sneak some prog in
            >there and save them all from Slipknot - any of you got anything up there
            >or any one else know about any good bands - I found a few already but
            >hey, the more the better.
            >
            >Sean Worrall
            >
            >www.organart.com - the home of ORGAN ON-LINE and ORG RECORDS

            -------
            Moorbase Alpha - http://www.moll.pp.se/moor/
            The Moor at mp3.com - http://www.mp3.com/TheMoor
          • organ
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 18, 2000
              In message <v04205500b65ec9cffbd2@[62.20.239.91]>, Kenneth Magnusson
              <bishop.garden@...> writes

              Checked it out. good stuff it is tooooooooooooo, THE MOOR are well worth
              your time Progheads - watch out for some coverage at ORGANART.COM and in
              Rocksound soon - i've added you to one of our Organart MP3 stations.
              I'll put some more info and thingd up with it very soon

              Sean