WI Texas had not seceded from the Union?

  • Todayinah Ed.
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012
      Point of Divergence: Houston fights for Union

      1st February, 1861

      After a half-shouted speech by Governor Sam Houston on January 21, the Texas state legislature begrudgingly determined that they would not be able to rally enough support to pass an act of secession over his veto.

      Article continues at Today in Alternate History.
    • derhexer@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012
        The Union has ports along the Gulf that they can use to more easily mount invasions of Louisiana and Alabama.  The Union can launch land attacks into Louisiana and Arkansas.  According to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_in_the_American_Civil_War) "Over 70,000 Texans served in the Confederate army and Texas regiments fought in every major battle throughout the war. Some men were veterans of the Mexican-American War; a few had served in the earlier Texas Revolution. The state furnished 45 regiments of cavalry, 23 regiments of infantry, 12 battalions of cavalry, four battalions of infantry, five regiments of heavy artillery and 30 batteries of light artillery for the Confederacy. In addition, the state maintained, at its own expense, some additional troops that were for home defense. These included 5 regiments and 4 battalions of cavalry, and 4 regiments and one battalion of infantry."

        Texas also supplied a great deal of beef and other foodstuffs for the Confederacy.

        IMHO, if Texas had not joined the Confederacy, the Civil War would have been shorter and less bloody.  Perhaps there would not have been such hard feelings against the South from the Union.

        Chris

        In a message dated 2/1/2012 4:14:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, althistorian@... writes:

        Point of Divergence: Houston fights for Union

        1st February, 1861

        After a half-shouted speech by Governor Sam Houston on January 21, the Texas state legislature begrudgingly determined that they would not be able to rally enough support to pass an act of secession over his veto.

        Article continues at Today in Alternate History.
      • Timothy McFadden

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
            For that matter, Tidewater Virginia would have readily split off if they could not gein control of the whole state.

            --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, Timothy McFadden <author2c@...> wrote:

            > I think the best they could have hoped for was a civil war in texas rather than the state going totally confed. If stymied at the polls, the pro-secesh agitators were more than willing to use intimidation and mob violence to silence opposition- they did so all through the south against anyone who questioned them, before, during and after the war.

          • Straha
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2012
              The war ends in 1864 with no 13th, 14th or 15th amendments. Slavery dies 1870-90 due to the disruptions caused by the war and black people have the same status in the US now that they did in say 1930.