WI no a-bomb to cower the Japanese into surrender?

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2011
      In 1948, on this day the US Occupation Authority issued an arrest for forty-seven officerless Japanese warriors following the gruesome discovery of the severed head of the hated General-san Douglas MacArthur in a bucket on the samurai grave of Asano in Sengaku-ji.

      But in the turmoil of post-war Japan the men had little difficulty in fleeing to Hokkaid├Á where they were concealed by the communist government of the Democratic People's Republic of Japan...

      Story continues at
      http://www.todayinah.co.uk/index.php?story=39472-S

    • aron_gameyell
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2011
        The thing is by the end of 1944 the Japanese were already willing to make peace. To save face they demanded that whatever happened their emperor would remain in power. Truman did not accept this and ordered total unconditional surrender, when Japan refused he ordered them to drop the bomb. They asked if they could keep their emperor, Truman refused again so he dropped the second and again they would only surrender if they would be allow to keep their emperor.

        The army was convinced that the impending soviet invasion would force them to the peace talks to accept unconditional surrender...well it didn't.

        The former American ambassador to Japan advised the president to accept their terms simple because 'it's not that big of a deal and it's really not worth it'

        So even without the bomb we might still have got Japan to surrender without an invasion...still what does this do to Korea and could it be possible that the Russians have the bomb before we do?