Re: Teddy K

  • mister_straha
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
      What if Ted Kennedy got elected in 1980 after a second Ford Administration?

      --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Roche <tertullianus_2000@...> wrote:

      > HYANNISPORT, MASS.
      > Family sources today have confirmed the death of former US Senator Edward M. Kennedy, brother of the late President John F. Kennedy. The Senator seemed to be on the fast track towards eventually attaining the same office his older brother had, when he was involved in a drunken-driving homicide incident in July, 1969. While drunk, he drove off a bridge at Chappaquiddick Island, Mass., and swam away from his car, leaving his companion, 28 year old Mary Jo Kopechne, a campaign worker and reported mistress, to drown. He did not report the incident until having sobered up the following morning, and, despite the best efforts of his family political machine to cover up the offense, an ambitious young Republican prosecutor on Martha's Vineyard was able to gain an indictment against the senator, forcing him to accept a plea bargain. He resigned from the senate and agreed never to serve in public office again, and served 18 months in the county jail.
      > After his release, and subsequent divorce, he dropped out of public life for years, reportedly spending the bulk of this time drinking heavily, in between stints in exclusive rehab clinics. Little is known of what Kennedy, who has been suffering from various ailments in recent years, has been doing with himself, and his son, Edward Jr., has asked for respect and no publicity at this time. Funeral arrangements are private.
      >
      > CONSEQUENCES?

    • Thomas Roche
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
        IMO, impossible under any circumstances post-Chappaquiddick.  Kennedy cronies and flunkies from Mass. aside, most of the country saw him for what he was.  He did in fact keep his senate seat only because of who he was, and this probably kept him out of prison, too.

        Dr. Thomas P. Roche
        Teacher of Classical Languages
        Aquidneck Island Christian Academy
        321 East Main Road
        Portsmouth, RI 02871
        (W)401-849-5550
        (C)508-212-1491
        thomas.rocheATyahoo.com
        (my opinions are solely my own)

        What if Ted Kennedy got elected in 1980 after a second Ford Administration?

        --- In alternate-history@ yahoogroups. com, Thomas Roche <tertullianus_ 2000@...> wrote:

        > HYANNISPORT, MASS.
        > Family sources today have confirmed the death of former US Senator Edward M. Kennedy, brother of the late President John F. Kennedy. The Senator seemed to be on the fast track towards eventually attaining the same office his older brother had, when he was involved in a drunken-driving homicide incident in July, 1969. While drunk, he drove off a bridge at Chappaquiddick Island, Mass., and swam away from his car, leaving his companion, 28 year old Mary Jo Kopechne, a campaign worker and reported mistress, to drown. He did not report the incident until having sobered up the following morning, and, despite the best efforts of his family political machine to cover up the offense, an ambitious young Republican prosecutor on Martha's Vineyard was able to gain an indictment against the senator, forcing him to accept a plea bargain. He resigned from the senate and agreed never to serve in public office again, and served 18 months in the county jail.
        > After his release, and subsequent divorce, he dropped out of public life for years, reportedly spending the bulk of this time drinking heavily, in between stints in exclusive rehab clinics. Little is known of what Kennedy, who has been suffering from various ailments in recent years, has been doing with himself, and his son, Edward Jr., has asked for respect and no publicity at this time. Funeral arrangements are private.
        >
        > CONSEQUENCES?

      • mikeh1820
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2009
          Anything is possible, we had people dumb enough to re-elect a brain addled washed up actor and and failed Texas businessman.