Re: [alternate-history] WI: archaeological discovery

  • Mark O.
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2008
      Unfortunately, not much in any case.

      Massive media orgy until their attention span runs out. Say two weeks. Lots of sober pronouncements that we are not alone, this changes everything, blah blah blah.

      And then, people find that life goes on.

      Politicians still lie, steal and philander. Countries still go to war. Terrorists still murder over their greivances real and imagined. After a momentary bump, the space budget gets cut again, bread and circuses being more important for reelection. Creationists still insist the world is only 6,000 years old and that the aliens / culture / dinosaurs are a liberal hoax (or angelic proof of God's design, take your pick).

      Every ten years or so the story gets trotted out as nostalgia and the talking heads have their day. But human life and human nature continue quite unchanged until we destroy ourselves with nukes or nanotech goo or too many Big Macs, for some future civilization to find and momentarily ponder in turn. Yeah, I'm a cynic, sorry. ;)

      Mark