28 Days/Weeks Later -an alternate 2002-2003 Options

  • Michael Edward Johnson
    Message 1 of 17 , May 8, 2008
      I really love 28 Days/Weeks later as zomblie flicks but I also think
      they make a fascinating alternate history for the early 2000's . The
      movie opened 11/1/2002 in the UK so lets say the Rage infection
      starts 28 Days Later on 11/29/02 .So the events of 28 Days Later
      occur in late December 2002 and the events of 28 Weeks Later occur
      in May 2003.
      I think that the really interesting (and world changing )stuff
      occurred in December 2002 and from January to April 2003. Lets have
      a discussion and maybe it can be worked into a timeline. According to
      28 Weeks Later- Mainland Britian was quaratined 15 days after the
      Rage outbreak and was destroyed 28 days later. So what happens
      nationally and internationally during this time peroid? Here is some
      info from the 28 Days Later wikipedia article that applies to this
      peroid

      "While travelling around London at the beginning of the film, Jim
      picks up a copy of the Evening Standard. The front page created by
      the filmmakers carries a single headline printed in large
      font: "EVACUATION", with the sub-heading "Mass exodus of British
      people causes global chaos." Above the main headline, there are three
      small subheadings with page numbers- "Who will stop them?", "Refugee
      Crisis Looms" and "Dangerous Animals". Below the headline, the front
      page contains a list of London's boroughs with evacuation information
      on the left side with the main body containing the following smaller
      headlines, in order:

      "Blair declares a state of emergency"
      "Military ordered 'shoot to kill'"
      "Government Check points overrun"
      "UN to build giant refugee camps"
      "Chaos at all London airports"
      "Government call for calm"
      "U.S. Military patrol waters around Britain"
      "All roads around London grid-locked"

      As per 28 Weeks Later the last of the infected have died out 5 weeks
      later -late January 2003 and the US led NATO force enters London 11
      weeks later - March 2003-making for a much different US led invasion
      in March 2003 ! But again what changes has this catastrophe wrought
      across Europe and the world from January to May 2003 ? The movie
      refrences extremely overcrowded refugee camps for British citizens in
      Spain. So there were probably such camps in Ireland and France too
      right? What of the British monarchy and government? How does this
      event change the world and make for a radically differnt 2002/2003
      than the ones we remember?
    • knight_of_sodom
      Message 2 of 17 , May 8, 2008
        Not. On. Topic.

        Get out.

        --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Edward Johnson"
        <EDDIEJOHN74@...> wrote:

        > I really love 28 Days/Weeks later as zomblie flicks but I also think
        > they make a fascinating alternate history for the early 2000's . The
        > movie opened 11/1/2002 in the UK so lets say the Rage infection
        > starts 28 Days Later on 11/29/02 .So the events of 28 Days Later
        > occur in late December 2002 and the events of 28 Weeks Later occur
        > in May 2003.
        > I think that the really interesting (and world changing )stuff
        > occurred in December 2002 and from January to April 2003. Lets have
        > a discussion and maybe it can be worked into a timeline. According to
        > 28 Weeks Later- Mainland Britian was quaratined 15 days after the
        > Rage outbreak and was destroyed 28 days later. So what happens
        > nationally and internationally during this time peroid? Here is some
        > info from the 28 Days Later wikipedia article that applies to this
        > peroid
        >
        > "While travelling around London at the beginning of the film, Jim
        > picks up a copy of the Evening Standard. The front page created by
        > the filmmakers carries a single headline printed in large
        > font: "EVACUATION", with the sub-heading "Mass exodus of British
        > people causes global chaos." Above the main headline, there are three
        > small subheadings with page numbers- "Who will stop them?", "Refugee
        > Crisis Looms" and "Dangerous Animals". Below the headline, the front
        > page contains a list of London's boroughs with evacuation information
        > on the left side with the main body containing the following smaller
        > headlines, in order:
        >
        > "Blair declares a state of emergency"
        > "Military ordered 'shoot to kill'"
        > "Government Check points overrun"
        > "UN to build giant refugee camps"
        > "Chaos at all London airports"
        > "Government call for calm"
        > "U.S. Military patrol waters around Britain"
        > "All roads around London grid-locked"
        >

        > As per 28 Weeks Later the last of the infected have died out 5 weeks
        > later -late January 2003 and the US led NATO force enters London 11
        > weeks later - March 2003-making for a much different US led invasion
        > in March 2003 ! But again what changes has this catastrophe wrought
        > across Europe and the world from January to May 2003 ? The movie
        > refrences extremely overcrowded refugee camps for British citizens in
        > Spain. So there were probably such camps in Ireland and France too
        > right? What of the British monarchy and government? How does this
        > event change the world and make for a radically differnt 2002/2003
        > than the ones we remember?

      • Michael Edward Johnson
        Message 3 of 17 , May 8, 2008
          But I thought a AH thread about zombies movies might generate some
          life in here.

          --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, "knight_of_sodom"
          <creativezenstraha@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > "U.S. Military patrol waters around Britain"
          > > "All roads around London grid-locked"
          > >

          > > As per 28 Weeks Later the last of the infected have died out 5
          weeks
          > > later -late January 2003 and the US led NATO force enters London
          11
          > > weeks later - March 2003-making for a much different US led
          invasion
          > > in March 2003 ! But again what changes has this catastrophe
          wrought
          > > across Europe and the world from January to May 2003 ? The movie
          > > refrences extremely overcrowded refugee camps for British
          citizens in
          > > Spain. So there were probably such camps in Ireland and France
          too
          > > right? What of the British monarchy and government? How does this
          > > event change the world and make for a radically differnt

        • Amina Arraf
          Message 4 of 17 , May 8, 2008
            very punny

            <creativezenstraha@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > "U.S. Military patrol waters around Britain"
            > > "All roads around London grid-locked"
            > >

            > > As per 28 Weeks Later the last of the infected have died out 5
            weeks
            > > later -late January 2003 and the US led NATO force enters London
            11
            > > weeks later - March 2003-making for a much different US led
            invasion
            > > in March 2003 ! But again what changes has this catastrophe
            wrought
            > > across Europe and the world from January to May 2003 ? The movie
            > > refrences extremely overcrowded refugee camps for British
            citizens in
            > > Spain. So there were probably such camps in Ireland and France
            too
            > > right? What of the British monarchy and government? How does this
            > > event change the world and make for a radically differnt

          • Gary Privitt
            Message 5 of 17 , May 8, 2008
              It would seem, as far as alternate history, zombies are a dead topic.

              Gary (aka Granpa G)

              --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, Amina Arraf
              <threefoldamina@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > >

              > > > As per 28 Weeks Later the last of the infected have died out 5
              > weeks
              > > > later -late January 2003 and the US led NATO force enters
              London
              > 11
              > > > weeks later - March 2003-making for a much different US led
              > invasion
              > > > in March 2003 ! But again what changes has this catastrophe
              > wrought
              > > > across Europe and the world from January to May 2003 ? The
              movie
              > > > refrences extremely overcrowded refugee camps for British
              > citizens in
              > > > Spain. So there were probably such camps in Ireland and France
              > too
              > > > right? What of the British monarchy and government? How does
              this
              > > > event change the world and make for a radically differnt

              Try it now.

            • Amina Arraf
              Message 6 of 17 , May 8, 2008
                though they keep seeming to come back to life and
                sapping our brains ...

                Message 7 of 17 , May 9, 2008
                  You mean eating our brains?

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 10, 2008
                    yup

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 10, 2008
                      As far as "sapping" our brains (or eating...works either way),
                      wouldn't that make TV the ultimate zombie?

                      Gary (Granpa G)

                      ______________

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 10, 2008
                        Pretty much. That brings up a what-if: What if no TV?

                        --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Privitt"

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 10, 2008
                          The print industry would definately be thriving as would cinema and
                          theater. No TV would also mean no DVD, VHS, internet. Radio drama et
                          al would be the thing. Probably more imagination among humans.

                          Gary (Granpa G)

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 10, 2008
                            Internet would work fine without TV. It'd simply be text-centered.
                            Slower development of computers/bandwith/IT without massive demand for
                            video.

                            <grandaddy_g@...> wrote:

                            > The print industry would definately be thriving as would cinema and
                            > theater. No TV would also mean no DVD, VHS, internet. Radio drama et
                            > al would be the thing. Probably more imagination among humans.
                            >
                            > Gary (Granpa G)
                            >

                            > --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, "knight_of_sodom"
                            > <creativezenstraha@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Pretty much. That brings up a what-if: What if no TV?
                            > >
                            > > --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Privitt"
                            > > <grandaddy_g@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > As far as "sapping" our brains (or eating...works either way),
                            > > > wouldn't that make TV the ultimate zombie?
                            > > >
                            > > > Gary (Granpa G)
                            > > >

                            > > > -- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, Amina Arraf

                            > > > ______________

                            > > > ______________
                            > > > http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

                          • R
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 11, 2008
                              <creativezenstraha@...> wrote:

                              > Pretty much. That brings up a what-if: What if no TV?

                              People complain about the drivel on Radio, and in Paperback novels.
                              If you get Movies, and Radio. Sooner or later, someone will combine the
                              two
                            • R
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 11, 2008
                                If you have cinema, but no TV. You may get, home cinema system
                                earlier. Just make the reels, smaller. People had projectors, in
                                there houses, in the 1960s. It does change the way we watch tv.
                                Sporting events, get larger audiences. You can't show them live. Less
                                advertising.

                                Message 15 of 17 , May 11, 2008
                                  True but delaying it a generation or two would change things.

                                  > People complain about the drivel on Radio, and in Paperback novels.
                                  > If you get Movies, and Radio. Sooner or later, someone will combine the
                                  > two

                                • Amina Arraf
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 11, 2008
                                    big thing to stop/slow the spread of television would
                                    be a different social milieu post wwii;
                                    if either stalin or hitler had ended up on top (and
                                    the US on permanent total war setting),
                                    rather than home televisions, TV develops as a means
                                    of propaganda: large screens in public areas directed
                                    by the governments and showing endless propaganda
                                    (rather as hitler was experimenting with)

                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 11, 2008
                                      Videophones could perhaps develop in TTL from mandatory telescreens.