THE PIRATES OF MALAYSIA SERIES by E. Salgari
While extremely popular in Italy, Portugal and Spanish speaking countries (known as the Italian Jules Verne, although his works were usually more about cliffhanger adventures than speculative or scientific fiction), he remains less known in the rest of the world.
Tigers of Malaysia series
- Sandokan: The Tigers of Mompracem
- Sandokan: The Pirates of Malaysia
- Sandokan: The Two Tigers
The style soon spread to movies and television. One example is iconic spaghetti Western director Sergio Leone, whose outlaw heroes were inspired by Salgari's piratical adventurers. There have been over 50 cinematographic adaptations of Salgari's novels, and many more inspired by his work (corsair stories, jungle adventure stories, and swashbuckling B movies like Morgan, the Pirate, starring Steve Reeves).
Fellini loved Salgari's books. Mascagni had over 50 Salgari titles in his library. Umberto Eco read Salgari's works as a child, as did many Latin American writers (Gabriel Garcia Marques, Isabel Allende and Pablo Neruda, to name but a few). Che Guevara read 62 of his books. Guevara's biographer Paco Ignacio Taibo II remarked that his anti-imperialism could be seen to be "Salgariano in origin".
Emilio Salgari wrote several novels chronicling the adventures of Sandokan and Yanez, two of his most legendary creations. We first meet the pirates in The Tigers of Mompracem and learn of their relentless struggle against the Dutch and British powers that seek to wipe them out. In subsequent novels they'll battle against James Brooke the Rajah of Sarawak and also travel to India to measure themselves against the Thugs, a notorious band of stranglers devoted to the goddess Kali.
The titles in the series are:
The Pirates of MalaysiaThe Two Tigers
- The Mystery of the Black Jungle (I Misteri della Jungla Nera) (1895)
- The Tigers of Mompracem (Le Tigri di Mompracem) (1900)
- The Pirates of Malaysia (I Pirati della Malesia) (1896)
- The Two Tigers (Le due Tigri) (1904)
- King of the Sea (Il Re del Mare) (1906)
- Quest for a Throne (Alla conquista di un impero) (1907)
- Sandokan Fights Back (Sandokan alla riscossa) (1907)
- Return to Mompracem (La riconquista del Mompracem) (1908)
- The False Brahman (Il Bramino dell'Assam) (1911)
- An Empire Crumbles (La caduta di un impero) (1911)
- Yanez' Revenge (La rivincita di Yanez) (1913)