SV: [alternate-history] Re: France attacks California during the Civil War

  • mattias persson
    Message 1 of 57 , Jul 1, 2007
      --- terrierkeeper <dinmont2@...> skrev:

      > Depends on when in the Civil war they choose to
      > become involved. But
      > overall something like this would happen:

      You forgott 8. Opposition against the war disaperes
      and Lincoln wraps himself in the flag and the irish
      people in New York flock to the colors instead of
      rioting when they are called up.

      Låt vårkänslorna spira!
      Hitta din tvillingsjäl på Yahoo! Dejting: http://se.meetic.yahoo.net
    • Michael Edward McNeil
      Message 57 of 57 , Jul 14, 2007
        A nice photograph from 1895 situated outside the Golden Gate and showing the strait and Fort Point can be seen here (scroll down):  http://cprr.org/Museum/Golden_Gate_c1895.html

        Michael McNeil

        Amina Arraf wrote:
        I'd suspect you'd not even need to be very quick to prevent the Union from sending relief; at best, I'd think it would be a matter of months ... during which the Allied expeditionary force can be reinforced by sea and can take the remaining towns and forts in California and Oregon as well as get in touch with the Mormons (a British Protectorate of Deseret?)

        "Mark O." <knight94108@...> wrote:
        I'm not a student of the period, but I tend to agree that moving overland from Monterey might be difficult.

        OTOH, landing cannon and such on the beaches in Pacifica and south of SF wouldn't be easy either.  Rockaway Beach and others in Pacifica were using for running alcohol in during prohibition, but my inclination is to think that landing heavy guns might be a tad more difficult.  Especially if you try it in winter.  And things get really messy if a Union monitor shows up while your transports are trying to laboriously unload.

        My personal favorite mad scheme would be surprise and violence.  Load three fire ships full of as much powder as they will hold without sinking, and ram them into Fort Point.  Bring your transports in quickly, with warships pounding the remains and anything else that is shooting.  Land as quickly as possible in the heart of the San Francisco waterfront (to seize the business district and city hall) and the Marina district (to attack the Presidio). The objective is something close to a coup de main... have it be over before the defenders figure how what is going on, and give no time for the Union to send any relief.

        derhexer@aol. com wrote:
        In a message dated 7/9/2007 8:54:56 P.M. Central Daylight Time, MEMcNeil@gmail. com writes:
        Yeah, that's what I called "still have some heights to traverse..." (smile).  As a result, if a landing is made at Año Nuevo or Half Moon Bay, my relatively unstudied advice would be for the army to cross the Santa Cruz Mountains to the San Francisco Bay side of the hills around where state highway 92 now comes across them to Half Moon Bay, rather than continuing further up the coast from there.  While those hills aren't all that high (a couple thousand feet) or rugged, the army would still have its work cut out for it moving cannon and the like over them, but it would be possible, I expect.
        We lived in the SF Bay area for 25 years.  IMHO, there is no good place to land an army that could seize San Francisco except on the narrow stretch from Pacifica north to San Francisco itself.  Any further south, and an invading force would have to move supplies from a beachhead through hills w/narrow twisting roads.

        North of San Francisco, Marin, Sonoma and Humboldt counties have few narrow beaches and those are backed by hills.  Plus, an army landing north of SF would have to go a good 20-25 miles east before it could find a place to cross the Sacramento River, then it would have to swing south around San Jose to attack SF..

        Chris