SV: Re: [alternate-history] Re: Really old PODs

  • mattias persson
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 1, 2007
      We in Sweden tend to remember losses more than wins.
      We often discuss Poltava when it comes to history and
      we visit the WASA museum(the ship that sank on its
      maiden voyage). But we often forgett our victories.

      --- Amina Arraf <threefoldamina@...> skrev:

      > What's the greatest 'epic' material in the British
      > Isles --- the "matter of Britain" ... when the
      > British
      > lost
      > (while the only Anglosaxon war epic surviving abt
      > their own wars wasn't abt the Conquest but abt
      > fighting the Danes (and losing); the Battle of
      > Brunanburh)
      > Ditto Y Goddodin ...
      >
      > In the USA, the 'best remembered' war is the Civil
      > War
      > ... and that chiefly by the South rather than the
      > north; "Gone With the Wind" isn't about victory
      > Vietnam is better remembered than Korea
      > and the best recalled Indian battle is probably
      > Little
      > Bighorn ...

      kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com
    • Ian Winterbottom
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 8, 2007
        Very much so, Ami. Only since I started taknig an interest that I realised how comparatively close Troy and Byzantium were. Except of course that they didn't actually co-exist. (Now THERE is a What If, suppose they HAD? either by a survival of Troy or an earlier version of Byzantium, which is one Helluva port?) The whole area is almost a crossroads in several directions, by land and sea. In the days of City-states and the first Empires, trading, Pirates and the Sea Peoples it must have been damn tempting to a bunch like the Mykene? And I would guess it would be very rich too, trading ports usually are - or were. They take a "percentage" out of everything on the way past! (CF Byzantium and Venice, Phoenicia and Tyre, even Carthage!)
        Can you imagine it as a sort of interface between the sea(s) and the plodding camel caravans, and the ancient Empires of the East? In fact it must have been a right melting-pot - as witness the number of Levels of Troy they discovered? No matter how many times it went down someone kept coming back and rebuilding it! Perhaps a point of contact between the Minoans, Egyptians, Babylonians etc? What an exciting thought! Romance maybe but it gets my adrenalin pumping! Fictional, but have you ever come across Michael Scott Rohan's tales of the Spiral, a sort of SF/Fantasy take on the whole idea. (Crud warning!)
        MSRs idea is that anywhere which WAS a port, of any description, stays that way - and is a gateway to the Multiverse (not Universe but any!) Somewhere Baghdad, (as in Sinbad and the Hollywood Thief of, not the now of car bombs), Byzantium, Baltimore of the Clippers, Liverpool and Port o' London, the pirate Port Royal that drowned in an earthquake, Bristol and Nantwich and sleepy silted Lancaster (UK, not Pennsylvania), the back alleys and docks of London, are still ports to somewhere/anywhere or even anywhen, if you take a wrong turn you can end up in another time, place etc. Roman Chester is still a port, if anyone turns up as a Customs Inspector demand ID! Talking "ports" such as Huy Braseal, Avalon, the Hesperides or Atlantis.
        Can you imagine the "Gateways"the "Tree" or "Undergound map", of somewhere like London, New York, Hamburg or Calais? Let alone Bombay, San Francisco, Alexandria, Capetown, Djakarta, Singapore, Hong Kong?
        You could travel by Magic Carpet, Steam frigate (with paddlewheels), Elizabethan galleon, Viking Dragonship or pirate schooner. Gatways to any place and any era, the choice is your own....!
        If you could go, where WOULD you go?
        Ian