Re: [alternate-history] Re: AH recommendations

  • John Faerseth
    Message 1 of 52 , Nov 1, 2006

      > > First: Stay away from the 17th century, and some
      > > decades before and after, as the chances of being
      > > burned for witchcraft are high at this time.
      > Matters
      > > might be different in the Ottoman empire, though,
      > if
      > > the plan is to, say, help in taking Vienna.

      Assuming that we are talking "slightly before one's
      time" the Ottomans would be an interesting place. It
      lacked the witchcraft memes of the West, and was in
      many ways a renaissance state on par with its European
      enemies. This was soon to change though. How about
      being less eurocentric and visualizing an Ottoman
      "Lest darkness falls"?

      > > Travelling to antiquity should be safe enough, as
      > > traveller equipped with the right skills and/or
      > > equipment can easily pose as a wandering magician
      > > without risking punishment. Possibly even setting
      > > oneself up as a god, if playing the cards right.

      True. Generally, the chances of becoming a god are
      lessened as we approach the end of antiquity. Then
      again, not so in Judea...

      > A lot depends on place and era!

      > > The High Middle Ages should also be safe enough,
      > as
      > > long as one do not challenge the power and dogma
      > of
      > > the church. The skills and euqipment that will
      > send
      > > one to the stake later on can still be explained
      > as
      > > new inventions or simply as coming from another
      > > country, since geography is still very limited.

      Even just flourishing new inventions and knowledge
      without dragging in prester John would be acceptable
      in the age of Thomas Aquinas.

      === message truncated ===

    • marktayloruk
      Message 52 of 52 , Nov 13, 2006
        I'd surmise-inevitable US return to semi-isolationism, slower
        decolonisation, Soviet Union breaks up as did in 1990s-many
        wars,probably perpetual,there.

        --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, Robert Steagall
        <robertsteagall@...> wrote:

        > That was an awesome book and one that ended far too soon for my
        taste. What happens with no Soviet Union? Do we spend more and go to
        space sooner?

        > Steagall
        >
        > mark taylor <marktayloruk@...> wrote:
        > No- Patton v.Soviets in A Damn Fine War by Bruce
        Yemme.