Re: [alternate-history] Re: loki's variant sort of

  • Victorian Cow
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 29, 2001
      I'm leaving the whole below as I am not sure how much sense this will make
      without crossreference.

      1. There is a belief that many of the socalled invading German tribes were
      initially spread out as interior garrisons against the hordes of peasant
      insurrectionaries / bandits that infested the West in the fourth and fifth
      centuries.

      2. The biggest Roman luxury good for the Germans was food in the winter.
      Supposedly the early fifth century collapse of the Rhine came when starving
      Germans appeared before the Rhine fortress cities seeking food, only this
      time there were too many to feed and the water routes stayed closed too long
      to get food from other locations in time.

      3. the slow change from taxes in money to taxes in kind were an attempt to
      remedy a fiscal situation that had no solution short of an emperor with the
      balls and power to break with the landholding / senatorial class. Which
      would have produced yet more civil wars as they fought to avoid this.

      4. The underlieing problem is that the Empire's structure was essentially ad
      hoc. From Augustus to the fall of the west, the western provinces had the
      manpower but lacked the developed fiscal resources. The East was the
      reverse. Whenever the two split for any major period of time the West was
      in trouble first as recruits were more mobile than specie.

      Scott