Re: America with a majority mixed race population in 2006

  • Ruairi
    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 1, 2006
      --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, Amina Arraf
      <threefoldamina@...> wrote:

      > I dunno how much that would change attitudes. I read
      > somewhere long ago that 80% or more of Afrikaaners had
      > non-white (Hottentot or Bantu) ancestry yet that
      > hardly made them fond of their non-white kin.
      >
      > Ami

      Problem I having with this is time and distance.

      Even if Slavery is ended. Which I think will more likely result in
      Jim Crow and Sharecropping.

      Or we have more indentured servants, or open immigration.

      Won't various groups be centred in certain areas. Ie recent
      immigrants in ports /cities.

      Now remember that transportation is harder.
    • fleetlord_straha
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 24, 2006
        <threefoldamina@...> wrote:

        > 1. A more mixed American population might have exactly
        > the opposite; more like Colombia, Brazil, India, or
        > other 'rainbow' hued countries in terms of politics

        I see it as being 50/50. It all depends on if dixie gets the upper
        hand in politics early on or if the north is able to consolidate
        power(virginia ending slavery could help THIS option). So what woudl
        your vision of a rainbow hued america bel ike politically?

        > 3. The end of slavery is much easier, yes; no 'black
        > codes' denying freedmen the right to stay in slave
        > states certainly

        Yep! We'd see black americans moving somewhere else and claiming that
        their ancestors came from a sunny part of italy. the ambitious and
        talented get drained out of dixie moreso than in OTL

        > 4. Brazil and Argentina "whitened" through deliberate
        > encouragement of white immigration. Would the US be
        > as willing to value any white no matter from where
        > over nativeborn browns as Brazil and Argentina have?

        Yes. 19th century white supremacist mems ensured that. Even without
        deliberate encoruagement there'd still be the economic
        opportunityes(perhaps more opportunty than in our world if virginia
        leads upper dixie in ending slavery and industrializing). The Dixie
        whites would obviously favor whitening the areas so we'd see much more
        immigration than in our world to dixie.