Nepal & Kashmir

  • Amina Arraf
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2006
      watching the news from South Asia recently, I began
      wondering about the Himalayan kingdoms. So, here are
      two What Ifs?
      1) WI Nepal had been absorbed into India at
      independence along with the rest of the princely
      states? What differences would exist by now?
      2) WI Jammu & Kashmir had not been absorbed by either
      Pakistan or India but had remained independent of
      both?

      Ami

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Henrik Krog
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2006
        >From: Amina Arraf <threefoldamina@...>
        >1) WI Nepal had been absorbed into India at
        >independence along with the rest of the princely
        >states? What differences would exist by now?

        A more violent Gurkha insurgency than OTL in Sikkim to have it included in
        Nepal. And many more Gukha troops in the Indian army.

        >2) WI Jammu & Kashmir had not been absorbed by either
        >Pakistan or India but had remained independent of both?

        Civil war. The invasion of the Pashtun tribals still happens, and they
        overthrow the hindu maharajah and install an islamic fundamentalist
        government. The massacres of hindus, christians and even some moslems that
        happened OTL are going to be much more widespread, and any non-moslems are
        going to flee to India. By the 1960s, the native Kashmiri moslems are going
        to be sick and tired of of Pashtun ruling elite, and either nationalist
        guerillas supported by India or maoist ditto supported by China are going to
        begin operating.

        Henrik

      • Amina Arraf
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2006
          The kashmiris aren't pashtuns and, if J & K was never
          on the table for inclusion in either state, perhaps
          they'd have gone elsewhere (Punjab? Assam?) ...
          So, no invasion and J & K is still separate monarchy
          in 1960 leads to ... what?

          Ami

          --- Henrik Krog <krigermis@...> wrote:

          > >From: Amina Arraf <threefoldamina@...>
          > >1) WI Nepal had been absorbed into India at
          > >independence along with the rest of the princely
          > >states? What differences would exist by now?
          >
          > A more violent Gurkha insurgency than OTL in Sikkim
          > to have it included in
          > Nepal. And many more Gukha troops in the Indian
          > army.
          >
          > >2) WI Jammu & Kashmir had not been absorbed by
          > either
          > >Pakistan or India but had remained independent of
          > both?
          >
          > Civil war. The invasion of the Pashtun tribals still
          > happens, and they
          > overthrow the hindu maharajah and install an islamic
          > fundamentalist
          > government. The massacres of hindus, christians and
          > even some moslems that
          > happened OTL are going to be much more widespread,
          > and any non-moslems are
          > going to flee to India. By the 1960s, the native
          > Kashmiri moslems are going
          > to be sick and tired of of Pashtun ruling elite, and
          > either nationalist
          > guerillas supported by India or maoist ditto
          > supported by China are going to
          > begin operating.
          >
          > Henrik

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Henrik Krog
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2006
            >From: Amina Arraf <threefoldamina@...>
            >The kashmiris aren't pashtuns and, if J & K was never
            >on the table for inclusion in either state, perhaps
            >they'd have gone elsewhere (Punjab? Assam?) ...
            >So, no invasion and J & K is still separate monarchy
            >in 1960 leads to ... what?

            Same outcome: nationalist moslem guerillas rebelling against the hindu
            marahajah and/or maoist guerillas. Maybe even a Shiite/buddhist independence
            movement in Ladakh.

            Henrik

            Download din yndlingsmusik på MSN Music: http://www.msn.dk/music det er
            nemt og billigt