Venus: Changing the world

  • apcx69@dsl.pipex.com
    Message 1 of 92 , Feb 21, 2006
      Hullo

      In the 1960's the Space Race was well and truly on; one of the many targets was
      Venus, the Soviets sent several probes and the US had the Mariner missions fly
      past and grab pics and data.

      In the late 60's and early 70's much was discovered about Venus' superhot
      atmosphere leading to surface landings in the middle-later part of the decade.

      So What if... those early probes had found a thinner atmospehere than expected
      and the 1970 Venera 7 probe had found the sci-fi writers where right and Venus
      was covered in lush jungle/forests and teeming with (non sentient) life?

      Would the Sov have kept all this secret while making a bid for a manned landing?
      What would the US have done? Would a life covered Venus been engough to distract
      attension from 'Nam?

      Hows about if the discovery was later, say the 1975 mission or the 1981 Soviet
      mission (the one that sent the colour pics)??

      Would we all be spending our holidays on Venus?

      Stay well
      Ogrebear
    • Amina Arraf
      Message 92 of 92 , Mar 9 6:37 AM
        Torrance, looks like Flint should pay you a
        commission! I think I'm going to buy this tonight on
        my way home.
        (Scotch-Irish women prefer savages? I think that
        might be right; my mother was nee "McClure"! :D

        - Ami

        http://mail.yahoo.com