No Germs, Just Guns and Steel

  • macmaster@riseup.net
    Message 1 of 119 , Feb 16, 2006
      Here are two age of discovery alternates I've thought of:

      #1: WI, when the Europeans reached the Americas, there had been no massive
      die-offs? (Basically, the Amerinds have roughly the same mortality from
      European germs as the people of India) I assume that the Spanish would
      still conquer some of the Indian empires but could they hold them if the
      population was growing, not falling apart? And would the English French
      and Portuguese have been able to settle the USA, Canada and Brazil if,
      instead of being nearly vacant, the eastern USA and Amazon had been fully
      populated?

      #2: WI, at the beginning of the 15th century, the Europeans (esp. the
      Portuguese) had made no navigational 'great leap forward'? Prince Henry
      the Navigator develops another hobby (maybe he's Prince Henry the
      Astrologer, forex) and the Portuguese don't start systematically charting
      the Atlantic, there are no voyages down the west African coast south of
      Morocco, no one introduces the assorted technical discoveries (astrolabe,
      compass, various rigging inventions) to ships in the Atlantic ...
      Europe doesn't discover anything beyond what it knew of in 1400 for
      several centuries ...
      What happens elsewhere?
    • Henrik Krog
      Message 119 of 119 , Mar 7 8:12 AM
        Granada turned over coastal towns to the Marinids at later stages to act as
        basing areas for their armies. Ill dig up the reference when I return home.

        Henrik