Re: [alternate-history] Re: Impact of hurricanes on history

  • Josiah Armes
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 1, 2005
      At Wednesday 8/31/2005 10:45 PM, you wrote:

      >Jerome Nicholson wrote:
      >

      > > Someone else sails to America. It wouldn't have been undiscovered for
      > >long.
      > >
      >Quite likely so. But who discovers it, and representing what country,
      >and landing where, could cause huge differences.

      What if one of the Italian city-states had been the first to stake out
      claims in the New World? Perhaps, say, Venice....then it wouldn't suffer
      so much from the loss of its outposts to the Ottomans later on.

      Sincerely,
      josiah
    • scott palter
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 16, 2005
        Totally luck of the draw

        Ike attacked into a few days of calm in a period of really bad weather; this was part of the surprise

        Scott