Canada AH: what if Bob Rae was elected in 1985 instead of 1990?

  • Stephane Dumas
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2005
      In 1990, the NDP-Ontario leaded by Bob Rae won the Ontario provincial election http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Rae but Canada faced an hard recession during this time and in 1995 the provincial conservatives leaded by Mike Harris won.

      What if Bob Rae and the NDP-Ontario had won in 1985 during a good economic time instead of 1990?

      Stéphane Dumas
    • scott palter
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2005
        The unresolved question for Canada as ever been can anyone except the Liberals prevent Quebec from secession?

        Scott

        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2005
          The unresolved question for Canada as ever been can anyone except the Liberals prevent Quebec from secession?

          Scott

          There was once the Meech Lake Accord than Brian Mulroney tried to resolve all this problems until Pierre Trudeau came back from his retirement to abort this agreement.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meech_Lake_Accord then with the Charottetown Accord http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlottetown_Accord same results, Trudeau doesn't seems to accept than others visions of Canada might be good as well as his own.  I taught of this, instead of dying in 2000, what if Trudeau died in 1985, shortly after his retirement.

          Stéphane Dumas
        • scott palter
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2005
            I recognize the Trudeau/Liberal machinations.  I remember the two agreements but not the details.  However does either keep the PQ / Block from remaining as a political party with the ultimate aim of independence?

            Scott
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2005
              Difficult to say, sometimes it might be those 2 agreements but also
              another factor who played a big part was the economic climate, in the
              early 1980's due to the big recession at this era, the PQ didn't had
              lots of marge to pass thru this without doing some compression or
              letting the salaries of state employees frozen (the unions manifested
              a lot about this). Also during Lucien Bouchard's mandate, he was
              forced to put the emphasis on clearing the finances as much as
              possible.

              Also, the PQ had 2 branches of souverainism, one leftist and another
              center-right, some of the center-right had left the PQ for the ADQ
              while the leftists remains (althought they are others leftists who was
              more leftists than some leftists who left the PQ to join the UFP
              (Union des Forces Progressistes) with some ideas too much to the left
              to my tastes -_-;;

              Stéphane Dumas

              --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, "scott palter"
              <tulsayankee4@h...> wrote:
              > I recognize the Trudeau/Liberal machinations. I remember the two
              agreements but not the details. However does either keep the PQ /
              Block from remaining as a political party with the ultimate aim of
              independence?

              > Scott

            • Thomas Roche
              Message 6 of 7 , May 8, 2005
                What would things be like had Quebec seceded in 1995?

                --- sailordumas <stephdumas@...> wrote:
                > Difficult to say, sometimes it might be those 2
                > agreements but also
                > another factor who played a big part was the
                > economic climate, in the
                > early 1980's due to the big recession at this era,
                > the PQ didn't had
                > lots of marge to pass thru this without doing some
                > compression or
                > letting the salaries of state employees frozen (the
                > unions manifested
                > a lot about this). Also during Lucien Bouchard's
                > mandate, he was
                > forced to put the emphasis on clearing the finances
                > as much as
                > possible.
                >
                > Also, the PQ had 2 branches of souverainism, one
                > leftist and another
                > center-right, some of the center-right had left the
                > PQ for the ADQ
                > while the leftists remains (althought they are
                > others leftists who was
                > more leftists than some leftists who left the PQ to
                > join the UFP
                > (Union des Forces Progressistes) with some ideas too
                > much to the left
                > to my tastes -_-;;
                >
                > St�phane Dumas
                >
                > --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, "scott
                > palter"
                > <tulsayankee4@h...> wrote:
                > > I recognize the Trudeau/Liberal machinations. I
                > remember the two
                > agreements but not the details. However does either
                > keep the PQ /
                > Block from remaining as a political party with the
                > ultimate aim of
                > independence?
                > >
                > > Scott

              • scott palter
                Message 7 of 7 , May 8, 2005
                  A question no one in Canada or the US knows the answer to. My guess is
                  countersecession by Cree in north, Mohawks and Anglophone areas of Montreal.
                  War with the US over the Mohawks.

                  Scott