Two Tudor What If's

  • apcx69@dsl.pipex.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hullo

      I live in Worcester and in our Cathedral is the tomb of Prince Arthur the first
      son of Henry VII - he died in 1502 when 16. Henry his older brother was 11 and
      became heir and later in 1509 Henry VIII.

      The question is what if Arthur survived? He was heir and married to Catalina of
      Aragon in a poltical marrage with Spain. He would have been 23 if his father had
      still died in 1509 and inherited a financhally strong, 'stable' Kingdom.

      Givern he was a Catholic King and allied to Spain any thoughts on how Englands
      subsequent history? Is it possible that his fitter, healthier brother Henry
      might have made a bid on the throne?

      More info on Arthur: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/Bios/ArthurTudor.htm

      My second AH question concerned Henry VIII himself.

      In 1519 he had an affair and produced Henry Fitzroy his first son and Henry's
      only achknowledged Bastard. Henry heaped titles, lands and had an Bill prepared
      that would allow him to name Henry his heir which became redundent when Henry F
      died in 1536 aged 17. The what if is therefore.....what if Henry had survived?

      By Henry's death in July 1536 Henry VIII had no male heir from Catalina (though
      they had Mary), had divorced her and married Anne, (they had a daughter
      Elizabeth) and in turn Anne was beheaded for treason 0n May 15th 1536. Henry
      then married Jane Seymour on May 30th. The couple had a sickly son Edward in Oct
      1537 shortly after which Jane died and Henry did not marry again for 2 yrs; also
      he had no more sons.

      But what if the Kings 'inheritance insurance policy' Henry Fitzroy had lived?
      Henry has piled lots of titles etc on him and made him the second richest man in
      the Kingdom after him. Henry wanted his son to be his heir- so what if the Act
      naming Henry as the heir had passed and the man had lived? In 1537 when Edward
      is born what happens? Henry F would have been 18 then. Mary is out of the line
      of succession ue to the divorce (similar Elizabeth).

      Henry VIII died in 1547 Henry would be 28 then while Edward would still be 9. If
      the Bill had past Henry F would be the heir but Edward was the direct blood.

      In 1533 Henry F had married to a powerful noble family Essex giving him a power
      base, and at Court he was liked and often 'assumed his father duties reguarly'.

      Could we have really seen a King Henry IX in 1547? What would English history
      have been like if we had?

      Details on Henry F here: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/aboutHenryFitzroy.htm

      Stay well
      Ogrebear