Re: [alternate-history] A Different School System?

  • Henrik Krog
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
      On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:01:24 -0800 (PST), Robert Steagall
      <robertsteagall@...> wrote:
      > Human being are naturally intolerant. That's what makes us so loveable...LOL

      Thats what makes us alive. Tolerance only works in an abundance
      society. When resources are scarce, its a recipy for disaster.

      Henrik
    • Robert Steagall
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
        In another place, Santa Anna is taken down the one time he sticks his big hatted head one inch too high for a Kentucky sharpshooter to say no to.

        Ruairi James Heekin <rurr2@...> wrote:

        >blackorchidxl <blackorchidxl@...> wrote:
        >Supose we had an educational system where "What If" Alternative
        >History's techniques & stories where offered - would the citizens in
        >our societies make more responsible choices for the future?

        When History for you is... Then they were defeated.. after being beaten
        again.. After losing...

        I was always trying to steer discussions towards AH..

        ``For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants
        it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two oclock on that July
        afternoon in 1863, the brigades are in position behind the rail fence, the
        guns are laid and ready in the woods and the furled flags are already
        loosened to break out and Pickett himself with his long oiled ringlets and
        his hat in one hand probably and his sword in the other looking up the hill
        waiting for Longstreet to give the word and it's all in the balance, it
        hasn't happened yet, it hasn't even begun yet, it not only hasn't begun yet
        but there is stll time for it not to begin against that position and those
        circumstances which made more men than Garnett and Kemper and Armstead and
        Wilcox look grave yet it's going to begin, we all know that, we have come
        too far with too much at stake and that moment doesn't need even a
        fourteen-year-old boy to think This time. Maybe this time with all this much
        to lose and all this much to gain: Pennsylvania, Maryland, the world, the
        golden dome of Washington itself to crown with desperate and unbelievable
        victory the desperate gamble, the cast made two years ago.... ''

        Somewhere its an unseasnobly warm day december. Warm winds from the gulf
        stream blowing inland. Ruairi and Neils men are rested and warm....There
        horses watered..

        In another place, James 2nd remembers he is a King, and spurs his horse
        towards the fighting...

        In a little Thatch cottage, in Connacht, General Bonaparte leans over his
        map.

        In the smoke and chaos  of the GPO, a man hurries with a Telegram...

        In 1940, a man called Michael, sits by the fireside, and smiles, as
        reporters ask Mr President...''

        `` Thats not the way it was, but isn't it the way it should have been''

      • Ruairi
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
          --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, Robert Steagall
          <robertsteagall@y...> wrote:
          > In another place, Santa Anna is taken down the one time he sticks
          his big hatted head one inch too high for a Kentucky sharpshooter to
          say no to.

          > More!

          Ruairi
        • Ruairi
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005

            > Jacques Presseault <jacquespresseault@h...> wrote:
            > So would a course in general philosophy and good sense tolerance.

            Leave me alone.. or I'll Kill you..

            (not personally directed at anyone :))

            Just remember the first point, and we are not going to have a problem

            Ruairi