Re: [alternate-history] Re: US expands overseas

  • Robert Steagall
    Message 1 of 120 , Dec 1, 2004
      Exactly, they are benefiting from the system that they are not contributing to. We need to start triming the fat from our spending, why not trim obvious overspending before we also have to start hitting programs that are for citizens? Or is this a bit too Scrooge?..lol

      scott palter <tulsayankee4@...> wrote:
      They can have an independence referendum any time they ask for one.  I have yet to see a major group asking since Commonwealth in the late 40's.

      Scott
      Message 120 of 120 , Dec 9, 2004
        Exactly what I am getting at. Besides competition is healthy and necessary for a viable economy. Not one propped up and in danger of collapsing if a linchpen is pulled.

        Henrik Krog <estrup@...> wrote:
        On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 06:28:57 -0000, H. Torrance Griffin
        <htgriffin@...> wrote:

        > > Bill Gates doesn't make it impossible to compete, he merely either
        > > pays you not to or makes a product that is so ubiquitous that it
        > > is difficult.
        >
        > Problem is, there are businesses (Power Generation, Railroads) that
        > lend itself to monopolies and/or oglarchies.  Without outside
        > restraint what can these fellows not do to erect barriers to entry.

        Without monopolies/oligarchies, you actually get those kinds of
        barriers. Picture a country that has multiple competing power grids
        (AC, DC, 110V, 220V and so on), fex.

        Henrik

        Do you Yahoo!?