more scenarios

  • Thomas Roche
    Message 1 of 120 , Sep 1, 2004
      1)McKinley not assassinated...

      2)Teddy Roosevelt decides to run for reelection, 1908.

      3)Bull Moose Teddy wins, 1912.

      4)Russians win Russo-Japanese War.

      5)Franklin Roosevelt dies of polio, 1920.

      6)Warren Harding dies, 1919.
    • Robert Steagall
      Message 120 of 120 , Dec 9, 2004
        Exactly what I am getting at. Besides competition is healthy and necessary for a viable economy. Not one propped up and in danger of collapsing if a linchpen is pulled.

        Henrik Krog <estrup@...> wrote:
        On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 06:28:57 -0000, H. Torrance Griffin
        <htgriffin@...> wrote:

        > > Bill Gates doesn't make it impossible to compete, he merely either
        > > pays you not to or makes a product that is so ubiquitous that it
        > > is difficult.
        >
        > Problem is, there are businesses (Power Generation, Railroads) that
        > lend itself to monopolies and/or oglarchies.  Without outside
        > restraint what can these fellows not do to erect barriers to entry.

        Without monopolies/oligarchies, you actually get those kinds of
        barriers. Picture a country that has multiple competing power grids
        (AC, DC, 110V, 220V and so on), fex.

        Henrik

        Do you Yahoo!?