Those magnificent men....

  • Ruairi-S O'H-lan
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      Here's a scenario I'm playing arround with in my head. Suppose at the start
      of World War 1. The Germans had rushed the south coast of England with as
      many aeroplanes as they could muster. Bleiont had crossed the Channel a few
      years before. Equipped with British weapons. reinforced with some men and
      arms by submarine and a few Zepplin, raids.

      ( Perhaps with a few Fenian sympathsiers adding to the fun)

      I'm not talking about a massive invasion here. say 1000 men get over at the
      most. But how much of a distraction can they make?

      Now suppose the British had done something similar to the Germans. raided
      the german coast Churchill was a big fan of the fleet air arm. The quality
      of the BEF was excellent. Resuplied by sea. A few Motor launches, false
      flagged ships sneaking thrrough the German defences.

      How much fun can the British have?

      Rurr

    • scott palter
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        I will let you airland as many men in the UK as you choose.

        Now supply them.

        RN ruled the Home Waters

        Scott

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
          --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, "scott palter"
          <agingcow2345@h...> wrote:
          > I will let you airland as many men in the UK as you choose.
          >
          > Now supply them.
          >
          > RN ruled the Home Waters
          >
          > Scott

          Germans got 30000 rifles, 10 machine guns and an amount of gold. To
          the Irish rebs in 1916. It was Irish stupidity that allowed the
          Brits to intercept the shipment. Plus the Germans landed some of
          Casements followers on the South coast of Ireland in 1918.

          Captured British weapons and men who can live off the land.

          But what about the other side of the coin.

          What if the Brits' do it?
        • scott palter
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
            I'll give you 30K rifles and 10 machine guns as well as your  few thousand men. In uniform the territorials eat them for lunch.  They delay the BEF by a few days which paradoxically is an advantage to the allies as the british then have less far to retreat from having not advanced as far

            the air use that could have mattered would have been doing a 1940 in 1914 and landing troops on the roof of Eban Ebbal fortresses at Leige.

            no one expected air landing in 1914 so there were no air defenses - a storm pioneer bn could have advanced the German schedule by days

            the move that could have helped with the British was using the few U-boats to mine the channel ports on both sides of the channel

            Scott