Re: third-rate burglary

  • scott palter
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2000
      >From: Thomas P Roche <troche@...>
      >Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 01:33:14 -0500 (EST)
      >
      >Third-rate burglary at the Watergate goes off smoothly, burglars never get
      >caught or even identified. Consequences?
      >
      >TPR

      See most of my Tet answers for a start. In addition, even more so, the
      legalization of partisan dispute does not happen ( the whole independent
      prosecutor, special prosecutor, Borking, etc.). Also no Imperial Press.

      However, the politics do not reorganize in quiet the same fashion. The Dems
      still make the Long March to the left that culminated in McGovern's
      nomination. Bremmer still shoots Wallace and the populist right dies with
      george's legs. Vietnamization goes a middle course - peace by 1973 but new
      airstrikes in 74, 75 etc. Mid course also on rearmment and Detente as he
      faces a united left opposition but no class of 1974.

      Scott

      >PS: While you all are at it, could anyone recommend for us GenXers, a
      >good, concise, accurate, and comprehensive one-volume treatment of that
      >constellation of depressing events collectively known here as 'Watergate'?
      >After just having viewed ALL THE PRESIDENTS MEN for a library school
      >research assignment, well, I realize that though alive at the time, as a 5
      >yo I hardly was paying much attention, and really do not know how to
      >separate fact from partisan political propaganda.

      Not a prayer. Even the partisan ones do a lousy job. We are so deep into
      annals as history and bottom up history that no one wants to admit how much
      is determined by a few top dogs and pure chance IMHO.
      Scott