18919Re: [alternate-history] Vengence weapon attacks against Normandy?

  • Mark O.
    Mar 8, 2006
      You would need to hit a lot of ships... more than a dozen... to make any impact at all.  Given the wild inaccuracy of these weapons (WAY less than one percent chance of hitting a ship I would guess), and the limited numbers which could be produced by mid-1944 even if the Germans tried harder... just not very plausible.  In fact, the more resources the Germans put into their 'wonder weapons', the less they have for tanks and fighters.  So the allies might well win sooner.

      Mark

      derhexer@... wrote:
      In a message dated 3/8/2006 1:25:10 AM Central Standard Time, aron_gameyell@... writes:
      I heard stories that there were plans to use V1 and V2's against the
      allied beach-head at Normandy.

      Another possibility is what if the attacks had begun before D-day and
      were aimed at the build of allied forces.

      Could this have effected the outcome of the war?
      If the invasion fleet had been heavily damaged, Eisenhower might have delayed the invasion.  The Allies might have been bogged down far from the Rhine when winter weather started.  We could then have seen the Russians gaining control of a larger part of Germany, possibly even Russian forces on the east bank of the Rhine.

      Chris