18915Re: [alternate-history] Re: Vengence weapon attacks against Normandy?

  • Mark O.
    Mar 8, 2006
      No.

      Yes the Germans probably could have inflicted casualties... but in a war where casualties were much higher than we are now used to, I can't see that it would have any difference.

      If the Germans used gas, it would have certainly caused more casualties.  Hitler was afraid of the allied response.  For good reason.  If he had overcome his fears, the gas missiles would have been used on London, not the troops.... it just would have appealed more to Hitler's sick theatrical senses.  Use of gas would have quickly brought an American response.  Also to produce sarin would have been difficult in the quantities needed to change the war... a lot of industrial capacity would have been needed to be diverted.  The allies, who were aware of what was happening in Germany often sooner than Hitler, would not have sat around waiting, but would have saturated the production facilities with bombs.  If Hitler uses gas on the eastern front, it only adds to the savagery of the war there.... again, I doubt it would slow down the Red Army much by that point in the war.  And even if Hitler did hang on until August 1945... bad news for Berlin and a number of other German cities.  And no moral quandaries about the use of nukes in that case.

      The only winning move for Germany was not to fight Russia and the U.S.  Once Hitler crosses those lines, is only a matter of time before he ends up in his bunker with Eva.

      Mark

      Josh <aron_gameyell@...> wrote:
      Well the american camps where the men stayed were almost as big as
      most cities in England. I have heard some of the airfeilds were as
      large as downtown london and some of the army camps bigger then the
      surrounding English towns!

      Could the allies have kept their original plan to invade on the 5th
      of June if their men were constantly being hit with bombs?

      Another thought, what if the V1's and V2's were loaded with poison
      gas, set to go off either on impact or when the bomb is shot down. A
      sort of doomed if you do and doomed if you don't.

      Could a longterm barrage of vengence weapons concentrated on
      american forces have bought the time the germans needed?

      --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, "Mark O."
      <knight94108@...> wrote:

      > No.
      >
      >   These were strictly unguided, highly inaccurate terror weapons.
      They were useless for anything else.  Hitler DID in fact use a good
      number against the port of Antwerp after the Allies captured it...
      at the time, getting that port in operation was the logistic
      linchpin to supporting a quick movement into Germany.  The V-2s
      accomplished very little... most of the damage was done by the
      Germans before the port was captured.

      >   These weapons were only useful against very large area targets
      like a city.  And even there they were a terror weapon which could
      never be decisive.

      >   Mark
      >

      > Josh <aron_gameyell@...> wrote:
      >   I heard stories that there were plans to use V1 and V2's against
      the
      > allied beach-head at Normandy.
      >
      > Another possibility is what if the attacks had begun before D-day
      and
      > were aimed at the build of allied forces.
      >
      > Could this have effected the outcome of the war?

      >         Writing book   Writing a book   Writing child book
      Book writing software   Historical fiction   Writing a book report

      Service.

      > Yahoo! Mail
      > Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail  makes sharing a breeze.

      Yahoo! Mail