18914Re: Vengence weapon attacks against Normandy?

  • Josh
    Mar 8 2:39 PM
      Well the american camps where the men stayed were almost as big as
      most cities in England. I have heard some of the airfeilds were as
      large as downtown london and some of the army camps bigger then the
      surrounding English towns!

      Could the allies have kept their original plan to invade on the 5th
      of June if their men were constantly being hit with bombs?

      Another thought, what if the V1's and V2's were loaded with poison
      gas, set to go off either on impact or when the bomb is shot down. A
      sort of doomed if you do and doomed if you don't.

      Could a longterm barrage of vengence weapons concentrated on
      american forces have bought the time the germans needed?

      --- In alternate-history@yahoogroups.com, "Mark O."
      <knight94108@...> wrote:

      > No.
      >
      > These were strictly unguided, highly inaccurate terror weapons.
      They were useless for anything else. Hitler DID in fact use a good
      number against the port of Antwerp after the Allies captured it...
      at the time, getting that port in operation was the logistic
      linchpin to supporting a quick movement into Germany. The V-2s
      accomplished very little... most of the damage was done by the
      Germans before the port was captured.

      > These weapons were only useful against very large area targets
      like a city. And even there they were a terror weapon which could
      never be decisive.

      > Mark
      >

      > Josh <aron_gameyell@...> wrote:
      > I heard stories that there were plans to use V1 and V2's against
      the
      > allied beach-head at Normandy.
      >
      > Another possibility is what if the attacks had begun before D-day
      and
      > were aimed at the build of allied forces.
      >
      > Could this have effected the outcome of the war?

      > Writing book Writing a book Writing child book
      Book writing software Historical fiction Writing a book report

      Service.