RE: [altdotnet] Receiving email via open source projects

  • Erick Thompson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010

      Reviving an old thread.

      I finally have a chance to try out Indy Sockets.  While they don't have an SMTP Server, they do have some nice library code that I could see using.

      What I really want is an email server that runs as a service, and has an event/delegate that gets called when an email arrives. I handle the event, and do I what I need with the message (arg to event delegate) (NSB message, database insert, etc). All the SMTP protocol stuff is handled by the library. I can't believe that someone hasn't needed this functionality before...

      Thanks,

      Erick

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010
        http://www.lumisoft.ee/lswww/ENG/Products/Mail_Server/mail_index_eng.aspx?type=info

        --- In altdotnet@yahoogroups.com, "Erick Thompson" <erickt@...> wrote:

        > Reviving an old thread.
        >

        > I finally have a chance to try out Indy Sockets. While they don't have
        > an SMTP Server, they do have some nice library code that I could see
        > using.
        >

        > What I really want is an email server that runs as a service, and has an
        > event/delegate that gets called when an email arrives. I handle the
        > event, and do I what I need with the message (arg to event delegate)
        > (NSB message, database insert, etc). All the SMTP protocol stuff is
        > handled by the library. I can't believe that someone hasn't needed this
        > functionality before...
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Erick

      • Symon Rottem
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
          I've used this as a starting point in the past.  Simple code and easy to modify: http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/cses/

          YMMV.

          Symon.

          Symon Rottem
          http://blog.symbiotic-development.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2010

            Thanks.

            The other option is that I have looked at is using IIS and a drop folder, then setting up a file system watch. I don't need to muck with the actual SMTP conversation, but I hate relying on the file system (permissions, locking, etc).

            Erick