Re: SPAM-LOW: Re: [altdotnet] A Plan

  • Chad Myers
    Message 1 of 112 , Jan 6, 2009
      Cory, Glenn, Heinrich, anyone:

      Here's a start:

      I know several of you participate in local/regional ALT.NET meetings.

      Set aside some time at those meetings to discuss (timebox it, maybe 15m?) what's wrong with our profession (i.e. why does ALT.NET exist in the first place and why are this list and the gatherings so popular?)  and come up with at least 3 bullet-point reasons.

      Next, set aside some more time (maybe 30m) to come up with a list of 2 strategic things (large, major, expensive/involved) and 2 tactical things (small, quick) that can be done to help correct this situation.

      Finally, vote/appoint a representative individual or a pair of individuals (no more than 2) from your group(s) to represent your findings to the other groups.

      The representatives will post their results to a thread here on this list or perhaps we'll set up another list for this purpose to avoid spamming this list. If so, we'll keep it open so others can observe.

      We'll all compile duplicates/similar topics and come up with a strategic list and a tactical list.

      Let's start with that. I have some ideas on what to do with the "official" list once it's compiled, but I'll hold off on that for now. Let's get this accomplished and move from there.

      Seeing as how there's an ALT.NET meeting soon in Seattle, maybe the timeframe for this should be a few weeks AFTER ALT.NET Seattle.

      For local/regional groups, please try to assemble before then.

      On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 2:54 AM, Heinrich Breedt <heinrichbreedt@...> wrote:
      Me too.

      How can I help?

      On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Glenn Block <glenn.block@...> wrote:

      I echo Cory's sentiment.

      How can i help.

      On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Cory Foy <usergroup@...> wrote:

      Hi Chad,

      Chad Myers wrote:
      > Apologies, Casey. But it was, unfortunately, exactly the type of response I
      > both hoped wouldn't happen and yet predicted. More questions, more debate,
      > more everything except movement. I'm not singling out Casey here, there were
      > a dozen after him.

      I guess I'm confused why you would have expected a different response. I
      liked the plan, and know from past efforts that if everyone spawns off,
      then it becomes a blob. Or, for someone like me who doesn't know you
      well, if I spun up and said, "Great idea! I love the documentation idea!
      Let's run with it. I'll set up a website, and spin off a group" then
      maybe that goes against what your vision was.

      You proposed a vision to the group, and really didn't give much else
      other than, "Here's a vision". I think had the very end said, "And if
      you are interested in building this plan, then contact me" or "Form
      groups and start making this happen" then the response would have been
      different.

      > All very good questions that need answered ... in due time. If we had it
      > all figured out before we started, we wouldn't need to start.

      The fact that you are using "we" here signifies that someone (perhaps
      not you, but you were the one proposing it) is an "owner" or otherwise
      contributing member, and thus has the context necessary to answer better
      questions.

      In my opinion, the post came across as a proposal needing discussion
      more than a call to action. But regardless, (and since I wasn't strong
      enough in my initial reply):

      HEY! I think it's a great idea! Well, at least the documentation and
      samples part. Some of the other ideals are dung (there, someone rejected
      part of it ;)). Documentation and samples are a vital way to reach
      people in the community, and I think we could have a significant impact.
      How can I help?

      --
      Cory Foy
      http://www.cornetdesign.com

    • Michael Minutillo
      Message 112 of 112 , Jan 13, 2009
        +1 for the foundation (in general anyway)
        +1 for keeping it .NET focussed

        I have to admit that I've only recently (within 18 months) become aware of the SOLID principles and I *think* I have a decent grasp of the people that this foundation idea is intended to reach. I would say that I have grown as a developer over the last two years orders of magnitude over the previous ten but it has mainly been by trawling the internet for blog posts and code samples that build on each other to form a large, frequently self-contradictory, body of knowledge.

        I have often wished that there was somewhere that I could go that laid out some kind of curriculum for further improvement. Even if such information is written from several conflicting points of view, consolidating in one place and making it easy to find and consume is a noble goal.

        If we spread the message out into other languages and programming environments then we'd just be duplicating the efforts of other organizations that have largely gone unheeded to date.

        Someone on the mailing list mentioned that P & P have a pretty broad audience (2 million I think is the figure) precisely because they are delivering focused material and are taking the time to explain themselves. I think this is the approach that such a foundation should take as well. Small pieces of easily digested (and easily separable) pieces which show specific techniques / tools. Otherwise it's impenetrable.

        Easily separable is harder than it sounds. I have shown a few videos in my office where the audience is not able to follow the concepts because the presenter assumes too much background information. This can include things like showing Model View Presenter in a TDD style with lots of object mocking and relying too much on tools like ReSharper. What people take away from those sessions is that they don't know enough or they don't have the right tools to succeed.

        Getting slightly off topic so I'll sign off there :)

        On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Ian Chamberlain <ian.chamberlain@...> wrote:

        Surely the application of good software engineering practices and principles to .Net is .Net specific?

        How is TDD, DDD, etc, etc done in .Net?

        What are good techniques for applying SOLID principles to C# or VB code?

        The majority of .Net developers I have encountered over the last few years have never heard of the SOLID principles. I find that very worrying and believe it needs to be addressed.

        Regards

        Ian Chamberlain