Entity Framework Vote of No Confidence

  • David Laribee
    Message 1 of 70 , Jun 23, 2008
      A number of people have worked on an open letter to Microsoft and the
      Entity Framework team. It outlines the various deficiencies in the EF
      specifically related to concepts a lot of us value as solid working
      practice. Every effort has been made to balance honesty with diplomacy
      and cooperation.

      http://efvote.wufoo.com/forms/ado-net-entity-framework-vote-of-no-confidence/

      I'd encourage you all to sign if (and only if) this is something you
      agree with and please spread the word.

      --

      / Dave

      http://thebeelog.com
    • Ayende Rahien
      Message 70 of 70 , Jun 24, 2008
        That is a select, it is not a rule.

        On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Sidar Ok <sidarok@...> wrote:
        even not rules for sets ?

        If I want to define "I want all bids and the people who made the bid where bid amount is greater than 1.000"

        no ?

        On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Ayende Rahien <Ayende@...> wrote:

        It is a DSL for SETS. It is not a DSL for rules.

        On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Sidar Ok <sidarok@...> wrote:
        since sql can be thought as dsl, imho it is one good way of describing rules

        On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Casey Charlton <casey@...> wrote:

        To be fair ... the data is all that matters, the code is irrelevant ... the data *will* last longer than the code. The trick is to store the data in a way that does not constrain the code, and vice-versa ... hence the need to detach the code from the data ...

        2008/6/24 Aaron Erickson <aaron.c.erickson@...>:

        Sadly, I think this is one of the most significant barriers - there is a sentiment in many places, for whatever reason, that data lives longer than code, so it is safer to have the really important business rules "protecting" the data.

        This is one of the factors that let me to alt.net in the first place, frankly.  I would love to see a world where code is perceived to last longer than data, rather than the reverse.

        On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Ayende Rahien <Ayende@...> wrote:

        I was in an application where 3,000 lines dynamically generated queries where the norm. (I would have _liked_ to have SP there.
        I unfondly remember one script, 3,142 lines, took me + two other guys two and a half days to figure what the hell was going on. At one point we had to consult the PL/SQL  syntax reference.

        On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 3:52 PM, J.P. Hamilton <jphamil@...> wrote:

        The client manager on my current project literally describes every business rule in SQL …."Yeah, you just select star from Bid and inner join on blah blah where select distinct". Very common mode of thought for people who developed a lot of apps in the late 80's to mid 90's (Note: I used to be very data-centric myself). The thing I find odd is that many of these people never questioned their methodologies and the 3000 line sproc you are talking about are just the facts of life for them.

        --
        Sidar Ok
        http://www.sidarok.com